Ace Hotel & Swim Club
- Style Hipster’s canyon commune
- Setting South of downtown
RUNNER-UP: BEST BUDGET BOUTIQUE HOTEL – SMITH HOTEL AWARDS 2013
The bones of an old roadside motel and diner have been brought back to life as the Ace Hotel & Swim Club Palm Springs. Nestled among the canyons and palm trees, this two-storey 1960s stop-over has become a destination in its own right, with rooms draped in fabric for a luxurious tent-like feel and adorned with quirky vintage furnishings and unique objets d'art, such as working turntables. The two outdoor pools are classic Southern California cool, with plenty of space for lounging around, reading a book and enjoying a cocktail. The aforementioned diner still serves hearty American classics, though it also mixes in some sophisticated dishes, as well.
Need to know
- Rooms 180, including 11 suites.
- Rates Double rooms from $109.00, excluding tax at 16.5 per cent. Please note the hotel charges an additional resort fee of $25.00 per room per night on check-out.
- More details Rates exclude breakfast (US$10 each).
- Facilities Vinyl record library, spa with poolside treatments, barbershop, gym, WiFi throughout. In rooms: flatscreen TV, Rudy’s Barbershop bath products, iPod and MP3 docks.
- Poolside There are two outdoor pools, a Jacuzzi and hammocks to lounge around in. The pool at the Commune is quieter and more relaxed, and it has trampoline-like circular parasols (but jump on these at your peril).
- Check–out 12pm, but flexible based on availability (half-day rates apply if you check-out after 4pm). Earliest check-in, 3pm.
Children Welcome, but the pool party atmosphere may be best for older kids. Baby cots and extra beds can be added to rooms, and the restaurant is happy to cater to tots at any time.
- Eco‐friendly Lots of the furniture is made from reclaimed wood and everything that can be is recycled.
- Also Pets are allowed for an extra US$25 a day; there’s even a park for them to play in.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms Suite 335 feels like your own canyon-side apartment, with plush leather chairs and a huge bar. It’s greedy in the terrace stakes – it has one with a hammock off the bathroom, and another off the bedroom with a fireplace and picnic table. If there’s a group of you, book a Patio with Garden or Fireplace and then some of the smaller rooms on the second floor – you’ll have a party pad with living space and somewhere for everyone to crash afterwards. Be sure to book a room away from the pool if you want a quiet sleep.
- Packing tips Your guitar for fireside strumming; your old LPs to stick on the old record player if you’ve booked into a Patio room or above.
- Also The fabulous ‘Swim Club’ of the hotel’s name consists of two pools, a hot tub, a spa with a steam room and sauna, and assorted massage yurts – plenty to keep you happy for at least a day.
Food and drink at Ace Hotel & Swim Club
- Hotel restaurant The King’s Highway was once a roadside Denny’s diner, and remains true to its roots, dishing up classic American fare (burgers, steaks, club sandwiches) with a dash of the unexpected (harissa lamb and pan-seared tilapia). It’s a casual diner setting, with toffee-coloured booths and random but entertaining performances from the old-Hollywood hostess.
- Dress code Hippie or hipster, as long as you don’t look like you’ve tried too hard.
- Top table Snag a saddle-leather corner booth so you can people-watch inside and out. On the patio, you’ll be privy to magnificent mountain views.
- Last orders Food is available all day: breakfast is 7am–11am, lunch is 11am–5pm, and dinner lasts until 10pm. As for drinks, order them in between 4pm and 2am.
- Room service Anything you like the look of on the restaurant menu can be whisked up to your room between 7am and 10pm. DIY barbecue kits can be delivered to rooms with terraces.
- Hotel bar The Amigo Room is a cavernous, old ranch-hand bar with booths around the perimeter to hide out in. The clear resin tabletops have Mexican dinero layered within. Try the King’s Highway Ale or one of the cocktails made with the freshest ingredients.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More details