- Style Moated mediaeval retreat
- Setting Scenic Sussex
Located in the centre of a gorgeous village in historic West Sussex, Amberley Castle hotel is set in – you guessed it – a 900-year-old castle. It’s not all suits of armour, vaulted ceilings and ancient artefacts (though those are in abundance). This is now an elegant and luxurious full-service hotel with rooms and suites featuring comfy four-poster beds, impressive (and usable) antique furnishings, large en-suite bathrooms with whirlpool tubs and views of the exquisite gardens.
Need to know
- Rooms 19 including six suites.
- Rates Double rooms from $266.13 (£163), excluding tax at 20 per cent.
- More details Rates are room only. Two-night minimum stay at weekends.
- Facilities Twelve acres of grounds, including an 18-hole putting course, tennis courts and a croquet lawn. Free WiFi, TVs, DVD/Blu-ray players and L’Occitane toiletries.
- Check–out 11am; check-in time is 3pm but flexible on request, subject to availability.
Children Over-12s welcome.
- Also No pets, but assistance dogs are welcome.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms Try and stay in the main body of the castle. Amberley has a sumptuous bed, his ’n’ hers bathrooms and a window-seat looking over the courtyard. Pevensey is intimate and has its own private door leading to the castle battlements.
- Packing tips Camera, book of ghost stories, tennis racket.
Food and drink at Amberley Castle
- Hotel restaurant The restaurant is spread across two main dining halls – the Great Room and the Queen’s Room. This antique eatery, decked out with lancet windows and suits of armour, has a tantalising menu of traditional British fare devised by the award-winning Robby Jenks – the sirloin pomme anna with shallot puree is not to be missed. The Great Room and two additional, more intimate dining rooms, can be exclusively hired for a private fit-for-a-king feast.
- Dress code No denim, even at lunchtime; smart casual in the lounge and jacket or tie for dinner. Leave mobiles in your room.
- Top table In the window alcove surrounded by fine tapestry and stoic suits of armour.
- Last orders You can dine in until 10pm and drinks are served until 11pm. The price for a lunch menu starts at £27.50 and is served between 12pm and 2pm, and a two-course a la carte dinner is £55, severed between 7pm and 10pm.
- Room service Simple meals and snacks are available from 11am to 10pm.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More details