- Style Orient excess
- Setting Secluded SW7
WINNER: SEXIEST BEDROOM IN THE WORLD – SMITH HOTEL AWARDS 2013
It’s all about modern decadence at Anouska Hempel’s Blakes hotel in South Kensington, one of London’s (and the world’s) first boutique luxury hotels. Each room has a different look, but they’re all inspired by the exotic luxury of different far-flung lands, such as Russia, India and Turkey. The décor is a museum of Ms Hempel’s exquisite taste and attention to detail.
Need to know
- Rooms 47.
- Rates Double rooms from $303.69 (£186), excluding tax at 20 per cent.
- More details Rates exclude breakfast.
- Facilities Free WiFi throughout. Massage and therapy room with a full range of treatments (book in advance) and gym.
- Check–out Midday, but flexible (subject to availability).
Children Children very welcome; babysitters and nannies available on request.
- Also Every guest receives a welcome drink on arrival.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms The Corfu Suite, which you enter from the garden; the Cardinal Suite (all in luscious reds); the Empress Josephine Suite with tented bed and a rich colour scheme of ebony and gold. If you're a book lover, try the grandiose librarian suite. The following room types sparkle from recent refurbishments: the Parisian Single, Luxury Double, Director's Double and Luxury Suite.
- Packing tips Nothing practical.
Food and drink at Blakes Hotel
- Hotel restaurant The seductively lit, boudoir-chic restaurant at Blakes offers Modern European dining with Eastern influences: try pan-fried oysters with sesame seeds and sweet soy, wok-fried salt-and-pepper soft-shell crabs, Dover sole or beef teriyaki. There's also some serious caviar-devotee temptation in the form of Beluga or Oscietra dishes. You can have a relaxed breakfast here, from 7am until late.
- Dress code Sheer glamour: this is the 'couture' hotel, after all.
- Top table Table 11, tucked away at the back of the restaurant. That said, all the tables are good.
- Last orders 10:45pm in the restaurant. You can also order from the room-service menu and eat in the Chinese Room (also known as Opium Den) 24 hours a day.
- Room service 24 hours. The all-day menu has moreish morsels from ponzu giner broth with Moneybags (dim sum) to Blakes burgers.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More details