- Style Bright and beachy villa
- Setting Carbis Bay cliffs
A bit of Italian charm exists in England at the Boskerris Hotel near St Ives in Cornwall. A much-needed renovation has transformed the fading seaside retreat into a stylish hotel awash in shades of white and pastels, that wouldn’t seem out of place on the Aegean. The stunning view of the Celtic Sea, however, is all Cornish, with gorgeous lighthouse views that impressed Virginia Woolf enough to write it into one of her novels.
Need to know
- Rooms 15, including one suite.
- Rates Double rooms from $171.43 (£104), excluding tax at 20 per cent.
- More details Rates include full English breakfast.
- Facilities Free WiFi throughout, DVD library, parking. In rooms: flatscreen TV, DVD player, iPod dock, Grohe bathroom fittings and White Company bath products.
- Check–out 11am, but flexible subject to availability (a charge may apply after 1pm). Earliest check-in, 3pm.
Children Over-sevens only.
- Hotel closed From the middle of November until the middle of February.
- Also There’s a giant map of the area pinned up near reception, where the owners and past guests post their tips on where to eat, drink and visit.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms It’s got to be the Celebration room: as well as a sunken bath in the window overlooking the sea, it has double windows, a silk-adorned super king-size bed and its own wet room. For calm and tranquility, pick a Superior room – all three have a soothing colour palette.
- Packing tips Paintbrushes to partake in the arty activity, Bermuda shorts and a floppy straw sunhat.
- Also The hotel has a beauty therapist on hand for various holistic treatments, including reflexology and shiatsu.
Food and drink at Boskerris Hotel
- Hotel restaurant The restaurant cooks up local produce with Mediterranean flair for supper every day except Sunday. Typical dishes include deliciously crisp battered haddock and chips, as well as unctuous lamb tagine. And no supper in these parts would be complete without clotted cream – have a dollop on the sticky toffee pudding.
- Dress code Beach babe and surf dude.
- Top table Take a seat at the line of tables running along the windows and you’re guaranteed a scenic supper. If there’s a big group of you, book the separate dining area.
- Last orders Breakfast is 8.30am–10am; dinner 7pm–9pm. Drinks are available in the bar until 11.30pm.
- Room service Order up sandwiches and cream teas any time between 8.30am and 9pm, and anything that takes your fancy from the restaurant menu between 7pm and 9pm.
- Hotel bar The Boskerris Bar is small space perched above St Ives Bay. If all the bar stools and armchairs are occupied, slip next door to the sitting room or out onto the decked terrace. Sound-wise, expect a musical journey from Spanish guitar at breakfast to jazz in the evenings, with bossa nova beats in between.