- Style Family-friendly farmhouse
- Setting Homely heart of Gloucestershire
Three rolling miles from the village of Tetbury, in the leafy hills of the Cotswolds, Calcot Manor hotel is a smartly renovated 14th-century farmhouse that is perfect for action-craving families and romance-seeking couples alike. There’s an impressive array of activities to keep everyone happy, including an all-day crèche, full-service spa, indoor pool, outdoor hot tub, children’s play room, a cinema and sophisticated fine-dining. For twosomes sans toddlers, don’t worry – all of the rooms in the main house are couples only.
Need to know
- Rooms 35.
- Rates Double rooms from $382.37 (£233), excluding tax at 20 per cent.
- More details Rates include breakfast.
- Facilities Spa, gym, tennis courts, library, DVD/CD library, free WiFi throughout. In rooms: Hypnos beds with Frette linen, flatscreen TV, Aromatherapy Associates toiletries.
- Poolside The hotel has both indoor and outdoor pools, as well as an outdoor hot tub that just begs for champagne-supping soaks under the stars.
- Check–out 11am – but later check-out may be available. Earliest check-in: 3pm.
Children Calcot’s a strong contender to be the most child-friendly hotel in the UK: family-designed bedrooms, an all-day crèche, an over-eights' entertainment area, a kids’ tea every day and a special swimming pool for little ones.
- Also Weekends require a minimum stay of two nights. Dogs are welcome by prior arrangement (so the hotel can arrange one of its rooms that opens onto the outside). Please note that Standard, Large Standard and Deluxe rooms do not have space for kids.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms The 10 rooms in the converted old barn have been specially designed for families, so if you’re after a more romantic rendezvous, book one of the rooms in the main house. Large Standard and Deluxe Rooms have king-size beds and Deluxes also have walk-in showers in their ensuites. Of the family suites, Woodchester is our favourite, with its little private garden and double-bathed first floor bathroom, but we also like the cottage, Malmesbury, which has a lovely bathroom with nautical-style teak flooring.
- Packing tips Bring the kids: Calcot Manor’s children’s facilities truly are a cut above, and staff have been trained to cater to youngsters of all ages.
- Also There’s three miles of cycles paths woven around the manor, and the hotel has bikes freely available if you didn’t pack your own pedals.
Food and drink at Calcot Manor
- Hotel restaurant Partly thanks to its wood-fired oven, Michael Croft’s the Conservatory serves dishes infused with a Mediterranean flavour, all made from fresh, local ingredients. Its gastropub sister the Gumstool offers hearty fare a traditional country air.
- Dress code Cotswolds chic in the Conservatory; more relaxed in the Gumstool.
- Top table In the Conservatory, take a table in the alcove by the window for light, views and privacy; the Gumstool has a lovely terrace for sun-soaked summer dining.
- Last orders Lunch is on offer in both eateries between noon and 2pm; Dinner in the Conservatory is served until 9.30pm (9pm on Sunday); the Gumstool’s open until 11pm (Sunday: 10.30pm).
- Room service Sandwiches and drinks are available 24 hours a day; the Gumstool menu is available during pub opening hours.
- Hotel bar The Gumstool’s cosy log fire and warm, lodge-like interiors create a charming country-pub environment in which to laze with a fine wine or artisan ale, and there’s an elegant hotel lounge for pre-dinner drinks or afternoon tea too.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More details