- Style Clash of the centuries
- Setting Southern Sentosa Island
Perched on the threshold of one of Asia’s most cosmopolitan cities, Capella Singapore hotel is a laid-back tropical escape just a stone's throw from the city, on idyllic Sentosa Island. A refreshing change from the island's typical ostentation, this understated retreat blends colonial charm with modern luxury in rooms overlooking the South China Sea. The grounds include 30 acres of manicured lawns where peacocks roam and old trees provide shade, with the award-winning Auriga Spa on the premises and a family-friendly beach nearby.
Need to know
- Rooms 112, including 11 suites, 38 villas and two colonial manors.
- Rates Double rooms from $567.49 (SG$710), excluding tax at 17.7 per cent.
- More details Rates exclude breakfast (SG$48), unless you're in a One-bedroom Palawan Villa or Colonial Manor (which include breakfast at the Knolls). All rates include personal assistant service, in-room soft drinks, newspapers and priority Sentosa Golf Club bookings.
- Facilities Spa, pool, 24-hour fitness centre, library of books, DVDs, board games and magazines (with free daily refreshments and snacks), business centre, tennis court, sculpture garden, free, high-speed WiFi throughout, laundry (guests get five free pieces pressed per stay). In rooms: flatscreen TV, DVD player, Bose sound system, iPod dock, Nespresso coffee machine, minibar with free soft drinks, juices and bottled water.
- Poolside The three tree-shaded, lounger-lined swimming pools come with South China Sea views. All villas have private plunge pools; manors have their own lap pools.
- Check–out Noon, but flexible, subject to availability. Earliest check-in, 3pm. There are some smoking rooms and designated smoking zones.
Children Although they are welcome, this chilled resort is better suited to adults and older, low-maintenance children.
- Also Colonial Manor guests enjoy Rolls-Royce transfers, breakfast for six, a personal butler, groceries, laundry service, SG$500 food and drink credit a day, a 60-minute daily Auriga spa treatment for two and four hours in a luxe chauffeur-driven car a stay.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms All rooms have an urban vibe: smart and fuss-free, in soothing earth tones, devised by Indonesian designer Jaya Ibrahim. Constellation rooms have capacious patios and outdoor Jacuzzis (Rooms 517 and 510 offer sea views). For a sumptuous home away from home, opt for a stately, three-bedroom Colonial Manor, which comes with a raft of extra privileges, including arriving and departing in style in a Rolls-Royce (Contemporary Manor guests also get the swish transfers).
- Packing tips Despite the air of elegance, flats are a sensible option if you plan to explore the large estate the old-fashioned way. There are several nature trails on Sentosa and a pedestrian path along the coast is a great running track, so pack trainers.
- Also The four signature treatments at Auriga spa are designed around the cycles of the moon. Linger in the wet area, with its herbal steam room, ice fountains and vitality pools in a garden setting.
Food and drink at Capella Singapore
- Hotel restaurant Cassia is a chic fine-dining Chinese restaurant in shades of black, beige and ivory. It serves Cantonese and fusion dishes, such as barbecued boneless duckling with sliced mango and lemon sauce. All-day diner the Knolls offers an East meets West menu. The tea bar, stocked with more than 30 varieties, is a great spot to linger after meals. A wine-matched gourmet dinner can be arranged by the pool, on the beach or in your room.
- Dress code Something silk or Asian-inspired for Cassia; linen casuals elsewhere.
- Top table In all cases, the best tables are about the view: at Bob’s, if weather permits, go alfresco; at the Knolls, request a table on the terrace or by the window; at Cassia, you want the veranda.
- Last orders 10.30pm.
- Room service Available 24 hours, with a reduced menu after 11pm.
- Hotel bar Smart and air-conditioned inside, dotted with day-beds alfresco, Bob’s Bar serves the usual suspects, along with regionally inspired cocktails such as the Kaffir Lime Mule and Kumquat Sidecar. They also make their own ginger beer.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More details