Château de Massillan
- Style Cosmopolitan castle
- Setting Woods, vineyards and sunflower fields
The stylish Château de Massillan hotel combines the best of aristocratic luxury with cutting-edge design in Provence’s Vaucluse. Surrounded by the cicadas, lavender fields and warm winds of Southern France, you’ll retreat to rooms that effortlessly mix Mid-century Modern with 18th-century antiques. The acclaimed restaurant does a much more traditional, yet similarly stunning, job of pairing world-class Côte du Rhône wines with southern French cuisine.
Need to know
- Rooms 13, including one suite.
- Rates Double rooms from $249.80 (€182), excluding tax at 7 per cent.
- More details Rates exclude breakfast, €19.
- Facilities All rooms are decorated with antiques. Some rooms have large terraces that open onto to the courtyard.
- Poolside The beautiful courtyard swimming pool is surrounded by stylish wooden sunloungers.
- Check–out 11.30am, but flexible depending on availability; check-in: 3pm.
Children Welcome. Rooms 10, 19 and 23 can accommodate an extra bed for €60 a night.
- Hotel closed From mid-October until 1 May.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms The intimate suite is spacious and stands on its own in the gardens; the bathroom has views of the lake. Tower rooms have romantic free-standing baths. Room 16 is the personal favourite of the hotel’s owner, renowned interior- designer Birgit Israel. Room 15 has a big sexy chandelier and overlooks the fountain and terrace below.
Food and drink at Château de Massillan
- Hotel restaurant Open daily for lunch (dish of the day) and dinner (set menu; €48), the restaurant blends classic French cuisine with contemporary flair – rather like the hotel itself. There is also a wonderfully comprehensive wine list. A reservation is essential. Head chef Frederick Lebourlout and sommelier Kelly McCauliffe have worked together to create perfectly-paired food-and-wine menus. With each change of the seasonal menus, guests can taste – and learn about – four or five exceptional wines. The restaurant is closed on Mondays.
- Dress code Birkin/Gainsbourg chic.
- Top table Alfresco in the oleander-lined courtyard.
- Last orders The restaurant is open 7.30pm–9.30pm for dinner.
- Room service Guests can be served breakfast in their rooms on request.
- Hotel bar Guests may enjoy drinks throughout the hotel and grounds.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More details