- Style Under African skies
- Setting Banks of the Zambezi
Elephants, water buffalo and monkeys are standard fixtures at the classic luxury safari resort, Chiawa Camp hotel in Zambia. Surrounded by lush savannah, the nine handosme tented suites with dark wood interiors include indoor and outdoor showers and baths and a private deck from which you can watch the amazing wildlife at your doorstep. It’s an all-inclusive affair, with morning and evening game drives, drinks whenever you’d like them, and Afro-Euro cuisine served at mealtimes.
Need to know
- Rooms Nine tented chalets.
- Rates Double rooms from $1448.28, excluding tax at 16 per cent.
- More details Rates include all meals and drinks, day and night bush drives, game viewing by boat, and park fees.
- Facilities Rooms have roll-top baths, outdoor showers and private decks.
- Poolside There is an unheated plunge pool with sunloungers.
- Check–out Midday, but flexible.
Children Over-eights are welcome (extra beds are $325 a night). Exceptions can be made for younger children on request.
- Hotel closed 15 November until 15 April.
- Also There is a library, well stocked with books on the local wildlife.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms All the chalets have similar facilities and locations, but the Honeymoon Classic tent has a double roll-top bath. Superior Safari Tent I is the most private; its bathroom, on a raised timber deck with thatched roof, has a very outdoors feel. Luxuriate in the bath with voyeuristic monkeys, baboons, elephants and antelope for company!
- Packing tips Bring suitably robust footwear for bush walks. A 200mm telephoto lens is the minimum required for decent wildlife photos.
Food and drink at Chiawa Camp
- Hotel restaurant Breakfast is at sunrise. A light lunch is served at 12pm and dinner is served at 8.30pm, subject to game-watching activity. The table d’hôte menu features Afro-European fusion food.
- Dress code Practical. Anything zebra-print would be a mistake.
- Top table All tables have fantastic views of the river.
- Last orders Normally 10.30pm, due to the sunrise start the following morning. Drinks are included in the price of the rooms.
- Room service Any meals can be cooked to order and served in the rooms, given sufficient notice. Each room has a two-way radio to order food with.