Cocoa Island by Como
- Style Faraway island fantasy
- Setting The bluest lagoon
An understatedly romantic retreat in the Maldives, Cocoa Island by Como hotel lulls you into relaxation with quietly elegant overwater villas that have all the comforts customary of a five-star property. The 33 villas – all resembling traditional Keralan boathouses – boast soothing, all-white interiors and teak floors. Spend your days scuba-diving, to see Technicolor coral, or sink into the laid-back luxury of the Como Shambhala spa.
Need to know
- Rooms 33 dhoni-style suites and villas.
- Rates Double rooms from $1100.00, excluding tax at 18.8 per cent. Please note the hotel charges an additional government tax of $8.00 per person per night on check-out.
- More details Rates include breakfast but exclude tax (18.8 per cent).
- Facilities Gardens, beach, spa, steam room and hydrotherapy pool, gym, yoga pavilion, watersports centre, dive centre, library, boutique, free WiFi. In rooms: minibar, LCD TV, DVD/CD player, iPod dock, coffee maker.
- Poolside You're not exactly short of places to swim here, but if you don't do saltwater, there's a beautiful beachside infinity pool to splash around in.
- Check–out Noon; check-outs up to 6pm are charged at 50 per cent; later, check-outs incur the full room cost. Earliest check-in, 2pm. A guest lounge is available for those leaving late or arriving early.
Children This isn't somewhere you want to come with screaming infants, but under-threes stay free (you'll still have to pay US$8 tax a day, though); 4–12 year olds cost US$55 a night; 13–16, US$110. Babysitting (from US$10 an hour) and kids' menus available.
- Eco‐friendly Cocoa Island has an comprehensive eco-policy and takes great care of its pristine natural environment and house reef, as well as working closely with local community projects and charities.
- Also Smoking is not permitted indoors anywhere.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms All the rooms here – Dhoni Suites, Dhoni Loft Suites, Loft Villas and Villas – are individual at-sea dwellings sited off a snake-like wooden pier, with private sun-decks, vintage-style ceiling fans, walk-in showers and roll-top bathtubs. It'll be love at first sight whichever one you choose, but we fell particularly hard for the split-level Dhoni Loft Suites, and the ultra-private one-bedroom Villas, with dining bales and outdoor showers. Try to get Villa 1001 or 1003, as they face away from Cocoa Island and have the best straight-to-snorkelling sea access. The Dhoni Loft Suites all face directly onto the house reef – pick the higher numbers (from 830 down) at the end of the boardwalk for maximum privacy.
- Packing tips Footwear other than flip-flops won't leave your bag: you'll be barefoot most of the time and heels will just sink into the sand and between gaps in the decking. Snorkelling and diving kit is available to hire – just don't forget your certification.
- Also The Como Shambhala Retreat is beyond good, and offers tempting treatments in its spa suites or in the privacy of your room. The focus is on holistic and Ayurvedic therapy: book in for a 'wellness path' course of treatments.
Food and drink at Cocoa Island by Como
- Hotel restaurant Set in an open-sided wooden pavilion, Ufaa offers a daily-changing menu of fresh-from-the-sea, plucked-from-the-branch goodness, Malabar Coast and Thai-style dishes, as well as a raw-food spa menu and naughtier staples including pizzas and paninis.
- Dress code Barefoot and sunkissed.
- Top table Get a poolside table or go one step further (literally) and dine on the beach. And dining on your room's private balcony is pretty hard to beat, too.
- Last orders Lunch wraps at 2.30pm; for dinner, it's 10.30pm. Drinks are poured at Faru bar until 11pm.
- Room service The amazing breakfast menu (fry-ups, cereals, buttermilk pancakes, organic egg-white omelettes…) is available 7am–11am; and from noon till 11pm there are light snacks and full-blown meals on offer (we'll have the tandoor-roasted lobster, please).
- Hotel bar Poolside bar Faru spins a mixed-up selection of chilled-out tracks and jazzy sounds. Enjoy while you sup on lethally tasty fruit punches or ginger mojitos.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More details