Diamant Hotel Canberra
- Style Heritage-meets-modern design den
- Setting Lakeside urban village
Centrally located and practically lakeside in New Acton, one of Canberra’s most happening hubs, Diamant Hotel Canberra is a design devotee’s dream. Icons of modern decor provide the culture fix in this 1920s building turned chapel to the cutting-edge.
Need to know
- Rooms 80, including one suite.
- Rates Double rooms from $124.18 (AU$137), excluding tax at 10 per cent.
- More details Rates exclude breakfast.
- Facilities Bar, restaurant, free WiFi throughout, library of books, CDs and DVDs, gym pass for on-site New Acton South Gym or Fitness First (10 minutes' walk away in the city centre), garden, guest bikes for hire, free internet terminal in the lobby and laptops for hire (AU$10 an hour; AU$50 a day). In rooms: Bang & Olufsen flatscreen TV with cable, CD/DVD player with MP3 port, iPod docks on request, minibar, Romy toiletries.
- Poolside The Diamant doesn’t have a pool but there is no shortage of public pools in the city.
- Check–out 11am, but you can pay AU$10 an hour for late check-outs until 1pm. Check-in, 3pm.
Children The hotel doesn’t really cater to children, but baby cots can be provided for AU$15 a night, babysitting is available and the restaurant can heat up milk or baby food. Ask for a quiet room in any category above a Standard.
- Also The Diamant is housed within the New Acton complex which also contains a selection of restaurants, bars, a food store and the Soma Day Spa.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms The Premier Rooms are our favourite with extra space and king-size beds, a comfy couch and generous marble bathrooms, some with baths big enough for two. Ask for a room away from the restaurant for extra peace and quiet, or for a special occasion you can’t go wrong with the Suite.
- Packing tips Lycra shorts: the hotel has push bikes to rent and cycling is one of the best ways to get around this green city.
- Also Design fans can play 'spot the modern icon' at Diamant Canberra, which boasts lighting by Italian label Flos, spindly orange steel-wire 'Corallo' armchairs by the Brazilian Campana brothers for Italian brand Edra and rugs by rated Hong Kong firm Tai Ping, among other cutting-edge pieces in the lobby and beyond. Set in landscaped gardens, the hotel was revamped by architectural firm Fender Katsalidis and the surrounding New Acton precinct offers a public arts programme led by art consultant Pamille Berg.
Food and drink at Diamant Hotel Canberra
- Hotel restaurant Bicicletta Restaurant, located within the hotel, serves Italian cuisine, specialising in gourmet pizza, fresh pasta and gelati. The focus is on supporting local producers, using seasonal ingredients to create delicious, traditional dishes, the majority of which are made from scratch in the kitchen. The authentic flavours are matched beautifully with an eclectic wine list that includes some lesser-known, but delicious drops from both Australian and Italian producers.
- Dress code Lose the lycra but avoid the corporate suited and booted look. This is a designer playground, after all.
- Top table Cosy corners for canoodling couples or communal tables for conviviality.
- Last orders Breakfast and lunch is served in Bicicletta from 7am–3pm and dinner from 6pm–10pm.
- Room service Available 24 hours from Bicicletta, reflecting its seasonal menus. Popular options include cheese and meat platters, linguine bolognese, toasted ham and cheese sandwiches and pastries.
- Hotel bar A far cry from your average lacklustre hotel drinking den, the Bicicletta Library Bar in the Diamant's lobby works a sexy yet smart look with turquoise- and cobalt-backed dark wood book shelves and round mirror-topped tables etched with floral designs. Grab a banquette and browse the eclectic literature decorating the rear wall while you relax with a glass of wine and some smooth jazz. Drinks are available from 4.30pm to 1am but guests can use the space, and its free WiFi hotspot, all day long. There's even a fireplace for cosying up in winter.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More details