Domaine de Verchant
- Style Revamped mansion
- Setting Manicured vineyard
A commingling of contemporary and antique, hotel Domaine de Verchant in Montpellier has buttercup-yellow walls that date from the 14th century but a style that feels very 21st. A sharply curated collection of European design classics mix with marvelous mosaics at this mansion with indulgent spa made over by Raymond Morel.
Need to know
- Rooms 26, including nine suites.
- Rates Double rooms from $244.79 (€178), excluding tax at 7 per cent.
- More details Rates exclude breakfast, €25. Half-board can be arranged for a €54 supplement.
- Facilities Spa with sauna, hammam, Jacuzzi and gym, wine-tasting caveau, gardens, free WiFi throughout. In rooms: flatscreen TV, DVD, Anne Sémonin or Hermès products. Some rooms have PCs and printers, and some suites have Bose sound systems and iPod docks.
- Poolside The free-form pool is encircled by lush lawns, pine and palm trees, and lots of vines. There's a heated indoor hydrotherapy pool in the spa.
- Check–out 12 noon. Earliest check-in, 3pm.
Children Cots are provided free; extra beds are €42. The restaurant has a children’s menu, and breakfast is included for under-12s. A local babysitter can be arranged.
- Also Pets can come too, for €20 a day.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms In the Neige d’Avril honeymoon suite, there’s a round bed with sheer white curtains, a dressing room and sitting area and an enormous hydro-massage tub. The suite also has a private terrace. We love the pool-facing Chinoise Suite, the Marie Charlotte Room for its hand-carved antique Indian door, and the Nur Mahal Room, which has access to the garden from its own terrace. La Forge apartment is great for families. It has lots of space and an upstairs lounge with views over the vineyards.
- Packing tips Your sleekest swimwear for the spa. And a wide-brimmed hat for shade while frolicking around the vineyards.
- Also There’s an indulgent spa with a hammam, indoor heated pool that looks past its Bisazza mosaic onto the vineyards, and a personal trainer ready to send you jogging around the gardens. Couples can book the private area and have a steam room, balneotherapy bath and terrace to themselves. It's €20 a day to use the spa, unless you're staying in a Junior Suite or have a treatment booked.
Food and drink at Domaine de Verchant
- Hotel restaurant The Pourcel twins are behind the elegant but unfussy gourmet restaurant. There’s a bien-être menu of grilled fish and so on, providing gastronomic back-up for the good work done in the hotel spa, but those on a more gluttonous track needn’t worry – there’s an à la carte offering of delicious Mediterranean cuisine.
- Dress code Effortless sleek chic, but note the gravel paths aren’t heel-friendly.
- Top table In warm weather, sit outside by the pool. Indoors, ask for a table by the arched glass door so you can gaze out at your luxuriantly landscaped surroundings.
- Room service There’s a 24-hour menu of light bites and drinks.
- Hotel bar A bright space with mosaic flooring, square grey tables and egg-shaped swivel chairs in olive-green leather, the bar is the perfect place to test-taste Verchant’s own wines, as well as sampling the fine single-malt selection.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More details