- Style Traditional riad with an artist’s touch
- Setting On the cusp of medina and souk
A 21-room labyrinth with three sheltered courtyards, El Fenn hotel is a serene, shady enclosure that offers an art-gallery-worthy respite from the outside world of bustling Marrakech. Lanterns light a sultry courtyard with a marble fountain in this colourful, avante-garde hideaway, complete with a screening room, carved antique wood doors and a well-stocked library.
Need to know
- Rooms 20 rooms (and one private four-bedroom riad set away from the main house), most of them lofty open-plan suites, six with fireplaces and all with six-foot-wide beds and Egyptian cotton bedlinen, giant custom-built baths, and powerful showers.
- Rates Double rooms from $250.36 (€182), excluding tax at 10 per cent.
- More details Rates do not include breakfast, but guests are offered afternoon with mint tea and home-made pastries.
- Facilities Spa and hammam, heated marble swimming pool, treatment room, mini cinema, free WiFi throughout, massive roof terrace with dining area, hanging garden, sun deck and heated reading pools, library, boutique, painting kits (oils and watercolour), yoga mats.
- Poolside Two pools. The hotel has a Carrara marble-lined pool in an serene and shaded open-air courtyard, surrounded by day-beds and a fire-pit; and a plunge pool on the roof, with a Berber-tented sitting area and sweeping views of the Atlas Mountains and the Koutoubia mosque.
- Check–out 1pm, with free late check-out whenever possible.
Children Consult the hotel: El Fenn is not ideal for kids, though they love the pools, the pets and the cinema. Cots/extra bed available at no extra charge to under-12s. Babysitting available, €40 an evening. Rooms 10, 11 and the Douiria Suite are recommended.
- Also Traditional Moroccan slippers (babouches) are given to guests for free in their room.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms The Pool Suite, aka Room 6, is a split-level rock-star retreat with its own 600-foot private terrace with little unheated pool. Room 11 has deep-red walls, white marble fireplace, and private verandah. Room 10 is similar, but turquoise.
- Packing tips This Moorish hideaway is a jewel-coloured mishmash of patterns and textures, which will undoubtedly bring out your artistic side. Bring a sketchbook so you're ready when inspiration strikes.
- Also The artworks on display are by Bridget Riley, Antony Gormley, Frances Upritchard, Fiona Rae and so on. No pets allowed – El Fenn has its own tortoises, chameleon and iguana.
Food and drink at El Fenn
- Hotel restaurant Daily-changing Mod Med-Maroc menus based on what’s in season from El Fenn’s organic garden suppliers: country-style at lunch, polished and inventive at supper, (both €30).
- Dress code As though you’re at home.
- Top table The little table facing the fireplace in the dining room, or the end table on the roof with a view of the Koutoubia.
- Last orders 4pm at lunch; 10.30pm at supper, unless pre-arranged otherwise. No time limits on breakfast. Can serve until midnight.
- Room service You can order up smoked salmon, foie gras, toasted sandwiches, desserts, and take meals in your room on request.
- Hotel bar As well as in the stylish Krug bar, guests are served drinks anywhere they like in the riad.