Empire Retreat and Spa
- Style Fashionable farmhouse
- Setting Tranquil vineyard valley
The owner’s ancestral abode anchors the Empire Retreat and Spa hotel’s stone and timber presence on the Western Australia's Margaret River. At this rural retreat with Asian accents, quaff a glass of chardonnay from the on-site vineyard after indulging in mud wraps from the signature spa.
Need to know
- Rooms 10 suites (including two villas).
- Rates Double rooms from $239.33 (AU$268), excluding tax at 10 per cent.
- More details Rates include breakfast.
- Facilities A stellar day spa, games room and a communal kitchen for guests to cook up a storm. In rooms: TV, DVD player, WiFi, iPod dock, Elissa Coleman robes and Sodashi bath products.
- Poolside There's no pool, but there is secluded Jacuzzi, sauna and outdoor shower set among landscaped gardens are there for all to enjoy.
- Check–out 11am, but may be flexible, subject to availability. Check-in, 2pm.
Children This hotel is better suited to couples - leave the children at home!
- Also Two-night minimum stay on weekends; three-night minimum stay during peak seasons; four-night minimum stay over Easter. All rooms are non-smoking. The hotel doesn't cater to children under the age of 15.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms The open-plan Luxury Villas are our pick, thanks to their sunken lounge area, open fireplace and private courtyard with outdoor shower. These, and the Deluxe Balcony Suites, are connected to the main lodge by a timber boardwalk; Loft Suites occupy the first floor of the farmhouse; and the Courtyard Suite is on ground level. The suites' polished wood floors and stone feature walls are complemented by a delicious colour palette of chocolate, cream and honey.
- Packing tips Luxe loungewear for reclining post-spa, a sarong or surf wear for beach hopping, and a copy of James Halliday's Australian Wine Companion for seeking out the region's best drops.
- Also Slink into Empire Spa for a seductive range of treatments, including a three-hour Opulence session that will have you scrubbed, rubbed and soaked into submission.
Food and drink at Empire Retreat and Spa
- Hotel restaurant There's no restaurant as such, however there is a communal kitchen at the heart of the property that's open to guests, so stock up on supplies while you're in town. A gourmet cooked breakfast is served each morning in the dining room, where you can gaze out over an olive grove. Lunch hampers and dinner platters can be arranged on request.
- Dress code Things may be relaxed, but you'll have to slip out of that gorgeous Elissa Coleman robe eventually… Mrs Smith, mirror the hotel's Asian aesthetic with something fabulous and floaty from Akira Isogawa; Mr Smith, keep it smart and simple.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More details