Forty 1° North
- Style Clapboard cosmopolitan
- Setting Modish marina
With a prime location overlooking Rhode Island’s Newport Harbor, Forty 1° North hotel doesn’t need a kitschy nautical theme to remind you that you’re on the sea. Wicker headboards, sink-into-them chairs, muted tones and oversized windows offering sea-spanning views can be found in the luxurious suites and cottages.
Need to know
- Rooms 28, including six suites.
- Rates Double rooms from $209.00, excluding tax at 13 per cent.
- More details Rates exclude breakfast (US$6–US$15).
- Facilities Garden, library, bar, restaurant and free WiFi. In rooms: flatscreen TV, iPad, preloaded iPod and dock, Malin+Goetz bath products.
- Check–out 12 noon, but flexible for Smith members. Earliest check-in, 3pm.
Children Welcome. The rooms are large enough to accommodate little ones, and there are plenty of activities around the property.
- Eco‐friendly Forty 1˚ North got the green stamp of approval from the eco elite, earning LEED certification for their efforts. Paperless rooms — all newspapers and menus are presented via iPad instead — mean that the property saves 750 pounds of newspaper each month. The hotel filters its own water, which is served in reusable bottles.
- Also No smoking throughout. Pets 20lbs and under are welcome for a US$150 fee.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms Light-soaked Suite 3 feels like an airy Upper East Side apartment, with a separate dining area tinted with terracotta. The sleek marbled gas fireplaces in the sitting room and bedroom offer welcome warmth on breezy evenings. Classic and romantic, two-storey Red cottage has duck-egg blue Shaker furnishings and a secluded bedroom in the eaves. The full kitchen and airy rooms of the warm, mahogany Seabreeze Cottage are ideal for small families or groups of friends.
- Packing tips Fresh-pressed, stark-white suits and Jackie O-approved eyewear won’t go unnoticed. No need to bring night-time reading, there are Dr Seuss books in every room.
- Also Play chess on the hotel's giant board with the toddler-size pieces in the Gallery. Shoot pool on the custom-made billiards table in the games room.
Food and drink at Forty 1° North
- Hotel restaurant The grown-up Grill has a raw bar, thick steaks and buzzy cocktail bar and lounge. Take a secluded table in the dining room or sip a spicy red in the sea air. Sample inventive small plates and cool cocktails in Christie’s deco dining room.
- Dress code Crisp, conservative ensembles and swingy skirts for dinner at the Grill. Don Technicolor sheaths and jackets with dark denim at pop-arty Christies.
- Top table Dockside is the place to be, with the marina stretching out before you. If outside is packed, grab a table by the floor-to-ceiling windows: it may not be breezy, but you still have the views. Book the long communal table if you have a large posse.
- Last orders At the Grill, breakfast is 7am–11am, lunch 12pm–4pm; and dinner 5pm–10pm. Christie’s kitchen is open until 11pm. Cocktails in the pavilion are crafted until 1am.
- Room service 24 hours; the menu is a pared-down version of the restaurant’s, and includes charcuterie, sandwiches and salads.
- Hotel bar At the Pavilion Bar, sip the Starry Night – a vodka infused with ginger syrups and flecks of vanilla bean – as you gaze out over the shimmering harbour. A DJ spins on weekends, when the bar is most happening.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More details