- Style Beaches and cream
- Setting Curvy Carbis Bay
This homey Headland House B&B hotel sits in the lovely seaside town of St Ives in Cornwall. The spectacular views of Carbis Bay are certainly the draw, but the bright, cosy rooms, the well-tended garden with hammoc and home-made cake and sherry make a stay here all the more inviting.
Need to know
- Rooms Seven, including one suite.
- Rates Double rooms from $162.14 (£99), excluding tax at 20 per cent. Headland House is unable to accept payment by credit card.
- More details Rates include breakfast (full English or Continental) and tax.
- Facilities Gardens, library, DVDs and free WiFi throughout. In rooms: beauty treatments and massages can be arranged, flatscreen TV, minibar, free bottled water, White Company products and goosedown duvets and pillows – hypo-allergenic bedding can be provided if requested in advance.
- Check–out 10.30am, but flexible, subject to availability. Check-in is possible between 3:30pm and 7pm – let the hotel know if you're likely to arrive later.
Children This hotel is better suited to couples - leave the children at home!
- Also Who can resist a freebie? Expect cake in the afternoon, and a glass of port or sherry when the night draws in.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms We love Porthminster for its bay window overlooking Godrevy lighthouse and the Bay, and Porthcurno for its characterful period fireplace. Snug little Mousehole has a romantic bathroom tucked away in a sunken loft space, with exposed stone walls, stripped wooden floorboards and a sloped ceiling.
- Packing tips Wetsuits and windcheaters.
- Also Grab a book and a drink, and slope off to the hammock in the gardens. The hotel can also arrange to have a gourmet picnic put together for you, with locally sourced treats, such as lobster, crab and champagne – a step up from soggy sandwiches.
Food and drink at Headland House
- Hotel restaurant The bright little conservatory, with its scattering of wicker chairs and white tables, is the backdrop for breakfast. There are bookshelves scattered with trinkets (vases, lanterns, and seashells) and a respectable selection of books and DVDs. This is a B&B affair, but don’t worry, there are plenty of tempting cafés and restaurants within easy walking distance. In the afternoon, you'll also be offered cake (past flavours include carrot, asparagus and chocolate – not all at once), and a tipple in the evenings.
- Dress code Bikinis and boardies. In the evenings, slip into post-surf casuals: cotton and corduroy.
- Top table Sit by the windows and admire the palm trees in the landscaped garden.
- Last orders Breakfast is available between 8.45am and 9.30am.
- Room service Breakfast in bed is served with smoked salmon and cream cheese bagels or croissants with organic strawberry jam, smoothie shots and cafetiere-fresh coffee.
- Hotel bar There’s an honesty bar in the snug, stocked with wine and beer.