Heritage Avenida Liberdade
- Style Pool-toting townhouse
- Setting Amid the Avenida’s foliage
A restored, blue-hued 18th-century townhouse in Lisbon, Heritage Av Liberdade hotel boasts an indoor pool and views over the red rooftops. Classic Portuguese style – hand-painted tiles, historic furniture – mixes with modern touches to create a relaxed city retreat.
Need to know
- Rooms 42 rooms, including one suite.
- Rates Double rooms from $176.86 (€130), excluding tax at 5 per cent.
- More details Breakfast is an additional €14 a person.
- Facilities Fitness centre, DVD library, library, restaurant/bar, iMac for guests’ use, free WiFi. laundry, parking. In-room: flatscreen TV, integrated DVD/CD, minibar, Molton Brown toiletries.
- Poolside There’s an indoor heated jet pool in the hotel’s basement.
- Check–out Midday, though this is flexible subject to availability and a charge. Earliest check-in: anytime, if there’s a room available.
Children This is an adults-only stay.
- Also Leave your four-legged friends at home and light up outside the hotel – there’s a no-pets, no-smoking policy.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms For a room with a (stunning) view, book number 54 for its Castel St Jorge and Lisbon vistas. Reluctant land-lubbers should plump for number 62, which overlooks the river Tagus. Also worthy of mention are the sixth-floor rooms – despite having smaller windows, they are set in the eaves of the building. The delicate wallpaper adds to their cosy charm.
- Packing tips Swimwear for the basement pool, trainers for the fitness centre, empty space in your suitcase for holiday acquisitions from the nearby boutiques.
- Also The hotel’s sensitive and sophisticated renovation is beautifully apparent in the bathrooms, which have a fuss-free, traditional Portuguese charm. Free-standing pewter sinks, blue and white tiles, enormous mirrors, bold rose-print shower curtains and elegantly embroidered hand towels add up to a romantic and alluring space.
Food and drink at Heritage Avenida Liberdade
- Hotel restaurant There’s an eating and drinking area set at the back of the lobby behind the main reception desk, where you can indulge in the morning breakfast buffet and snacks (sandwiches, soups and salads) during the day, More gathering space than restaurant, it’s the perfect place to meet for a quick bite and plan the day’s adventures, or unwind with a drink after enjoying them. The lobby’s décor flows through into this area – huge windows let in Lisbon’s light, the hand-painted tiles add traditional charm and the warm, brown, amber and gold colour scheme makes for a comfortable, relaxing environment.
- Dress code It’s a very casual space, so don your relaxed loungewear; think loose and floaty.
- Top table Grab a table by the window and watch the Lisbon locals go about their day.
- Room service The same mix of soups, salads and sandwiches from the hotel lobby area are available 24 hours a day as room-service treats.
- Hotel bar Wines, beers and spirits are all available in the eating and drinking area.