- Style Asian-inspired Caribbean cottages
- Setting Secluded Antigua bay
A dirt track along the secret shores of an Antigua bay takes you to the Hermitage Bay hotel, a boutique resort that’s miles away from urban distraction, and pretty much anything at all, for that matter. Lose yourself in the sweet seclusion of the deserted white-sand beach and the understated luxury of the hotel’s hillside cottages nestled among lush green gardens.
Need to know
- Rooms 25 Cottage Suites.
- Rates Double rooms from $1222.00, excluding tax at 22.5 per cent.
- More details Rates include all meals, snacks and most drinks. Guests staying three night or more get free airport transfers.
- Facilities Spa, DVD library, free WiFi throughout. In rooms: flatscreen TV, DVD player, sound system with iPod dock, minibar, outdoor rain shower, Aromatherapy Associates toiletries.
- Poolside The hotel’s main freshwater pool is an invitingly curved, infinity-edged, broad-bean-shaped delight, overlooking the sea and set beside the lounge bar. Waiters are always on hand to bring refreshment your way.
- Check–out Midday; later on request, subject to availability.
Children The hotel welcomes children aged 12 and up for $200 a night in low season and $300 a night in high season. In July and August, you can bring kids from eight years old.
- Hotel closed 5 September to 10 October.
- Also Smoking is not allowed in the restaurant or Suites (but you can go out onto the veranda).
In the know
- Our favourite rooms The Hillside Cottage Suites may be a short trek up the hill, but it's worth the climb as the higher you go, the more stunning the bay view – and there’s always a golf buggy to ferry you around if you’re not feeling up to the ascent. These Asian-inspired wooden cottages have private infinity plunge pools beside white-curtained day-bed terraces – ideal for lounging in front of the inimitable Caribbean sunset. Down by the seafront, the Beach Cottage Suites may lack pools, but the fact the sea is but a hop, skip and dive away more than makes up for it.
- Packing tips Insect repellent is a must, given the critters that come out at night; any classics you’ve never got around to reading – this is the perfect place to do it.
- Also The Garden Spa offers Dorissima treatments that use colour rituals based on the body’s Chakra systems – full spiritual enlightenment guaranteed.
Food and drink at Hermitage Bay
- Hotel restaurant With tables spreading from the decking onto the beach, Hermitage Bay’s three-tier restaurant shares the Balinese/Asian feel of the suites, but serves a fusion of Caribbean and Modern European flavours, created, where possible, from local ingredients.
- Dress code Bonny, beachy and fabulously floaty.
- Top table There are sea views from every table, but the corner table on the lower tier is the most romantic spot.
- Last orders 9.30pm at the restaurant; the bar closes at 11.45pm.
- Room service Breakfast can be brought to you between 7.30am and 10.30am. Afterwards, from 12.30pm to 9.30pm, there's a snack menu on offer. Restaurant dishes are available in-rooms 7pm–9.30pm.
- Hotel bar The sheltered poolside bar is a sleek and spacious lounge filled with low coffee tables, white fabrics and dark rattan armchairs. The old-style wide wooden bar counter is ideal for supping a cold beer or tropical cocktail.