Hospes Las Casas del Rey de Baeza
- Style White-washed terracotta-tiled townhouse
- Setting Cobbled courts of old-town Andalucía
In the narrow lanes of Seville’s old quarter, the sun-filled Hospes Las Casas del Rey de Baeza hotel has a rooftop pool and rustic cobblestone courtyard. The 18th-century building is traditional Andalucia, with a whitewashed and ochre exterior and charming terracotta tiles. The interior is contemporary and chic with stone floors and marble bathrooms. Help yourself to the baskets of Seville’s famous oranges.
Need to know
- Rooms 41, including five suites.
- Rates Double rooms from $167.75 (€123), excluding tax at 10 per cent.
- More details Rates exclude breakfast (€17).
- Facilities Rooftop spa and massage area, library, DVD/CD selection, free WiFi throughout, valet parking. In rooms: flatscreen TV, DVD/CD player, iPod dock, under-floor heating.
- Poolside The little rooftop pool is lined with potted cactuses and blue-cushioned loungers. You can help yourself to fresh oranges left in baskets around the terrace.
- Check–out Midday, although later check-out can be arranged, depending on availability.
Children Extra beds can be provided for €50 a night and babysitting can be arranged for around €10 an hour. The restaurant offers a children’s menu and has a supply of high chairs for babies.
- Also Pets are welcome. Non-smoking rooms available.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms Las Casas’ rooms are all cat-swingingly spacious, so there’s no need to go for a Suite unless size really does matter. We like the front-facing Double Superiors, which have wide French doors. All rooms look out over the main courtyard, and are decorated with elegant simplicity – whitewashed walls, slate floors, cast-iron beds – colourfully spiced with contemporary art pieces and Indian carvings.
- Packing tips Your dancing shoes – Seville is flamenco’s motherland and there’s no better place to try your hand (or rather, foot) at the sultry skirt-swishing steps.
- Also Las Casas del Rey also has a small spa area and a solarium beside the pool. Ayurvedic, Thai, shiatsu and aromatherapy massages are on offer.
Food and drink at Hospes Las Casas del Rey de Baeza
- Hotel restaurant Hospes Las Casas del Rey’s warm and rustic Senzone restaurant is located in a 13th-century building and serves innovative, but staunchly Andalucían dishes.
- Dress code Summery city chic.
- Top table Sit by the window inside the restaurant, but prime position is to be had in the warmth of the courtyard at breakfast time, before the sun gets too scorchy.
- Last orders Lunch is served between 1.30pm and 3.30pm; dinner from 8.30pm until 11pm.
- Room service There’s a 24-hour menu of food and drinks.
- Hotel bar You can enjoy tapas, salads and a wide variety of drinks at the rooftop pool bar, which offers beautiful views over the surrounding Alfalfa district.