Hotel del Teatre
- Style Converted Catalan farmhouses
- Setting Rural Regencos’ oaks and fields
A romantic rural retreat, Hotel del Teatre merged two 18th-century Catalan farmhouses into a boutique with countryside vistas and sunkissed stone terraces. The old theatre of this mediaeval village was transformed into the hotel’s restaurant. Located in Empord, this hideaway has seven whitewashed rooms with simple, yet elegant wood touches and fresh flowers.
Need to know
- Rooms 11, including seven suites and two apartments.
- Rates Double rooms from $193.13 (€141), excluding tax at 10 per cent. Please note the hotel charges an additional government tax of €1.00 per person per night on check-out and an additional local city tax of €1.00 per person per night on check-out.
- More details Rates include breakfast.
- Facilities Gardens, DVD and CD library, mountain bikes available free, free parking. In rooms: TV with DVD player.
- Poolside Adjacent to the restaurant, there’s a lawn dotted with sun loungers leading up to the outdoor pool. There’s a phone close by, so you can call the hotel and order poolside sips.
- Check–out 12pm. Check-in, 2pm. Reception is open 9am to 8pm, so if it looks like you'll arrive outside these times, let the hotel know in advance.
Children Mini-Smiths are welcome, with free cots available for babies, extra beds for older ones are €52 a night. There’s a children’s menu in the restaurant and babysitting can be booked four days beforehand, for €15 an hour.
- Hotel closed 3 November 2012 to 27 December 2013, and 1 January to 15 March 2013.
- Also The hotel is a no-pets and no-smoking zone.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms For a dazzling view of the green-and-gold countryside, book up the Suite Senior. The arched windows in the lounge area (separated from the bedroom by five steps and a doorway) look out over the terracotta-tiled roof and rolling fields below. The bedroom is a soothing expanse of space, with pitched ceilings, exposed beams and tiny shutters adding rustic allure. Decor and furnishings (a timber shelf, cupboard, armchair and sofa bed) are decidedly fuss- and frill-free, letting the views do the talking. Suites Junior have large windows looking out over verdant vistas. They have a separate seating area and views of all Girona’s charms outside the window.
- Packing tips Snorkeling gear for undersea sightseeing; golf clubs for the nearby courses; an appetite for seafood.
- Also The hotel provides umbrellas and pool towels, which you can take to the beach.
Food and drink at Hotel del Teatre
- Hotel restaurant The hotel cannily snapped up the village’s 19th-century theatre and turned it into an eatery, La Cuina del Teatre. The original layout has been retained and, as guests feast, old films are projected onto a screen at the back of the stage. Ingredients are sourced from the local markets, with fresh fish and meat the stars of the show. Dishes include duck confit with caramelised figs, watermelon soup with basil sorbet and potato parmentier with prawns and asparagus. The restaurant also boasts a modern glass addition, built onto the side of the theatre and equipped with tall sliding doors to let in the summer sun. There’s a separate cosy seating area, perfect for post-prandials. The restaurant is only open for dinner between March and June and in September, and closes altogether on Mondays and Tuesdays. In July and August, lunch and dinner are every day.
- Dress code Channel glam am dram: wear a flowing dress or ruffled shirt.
- Top table Sit beneath the vaulted ceiling in the original section by the stage and pretend you’re two star-crossed lovers.
- Last orders Feast between 8.30am–10.30am for breakfast; 1.30–3.30pm for lunch and dinner at a typically Mediterranean 8pm–10.30pm.
- Room service Breakfast can be brought up to your room and there’s a menu of snacks and meals available until 10pm.
- Hotel bar There's no bar as such but you can sip aperitifs or digestifs in the cosy lounge-style reception, on the squashy couches. If it’s a balmy night, sit out on the little terrace overlooking the garden.