- Style Superchic chalet
- Setting Scandinavian seaside
Channeling its postcard-perfect views overlooking Stockholm harbour, Hotel J takes a yachting-inspired perspective with its red, white and blue colour palette. Located on Nacka Strand along the Saltsjön waterway, this breezy hideaway feels like somewhere it's always summer, with its pale oak furniture, comfortable white cotton chairs and outdoor picnic tables at the water’s edge. If it weren't for the signature Scandinavian design sensibility, we might even wonder if we were in New England.
Need to know
- Rooms 158, including five suites.
- Rates Double rooms from $144.88 (SEK943), excluding tax at 1 per cent.
- More details Rates include breakfast.
- Facilities Guests can use the newly opened gym for free. A jetty, garden and watch-tower provide outdoor spaces for entertaining and enjoyment. The hotel can arrange sailing boats, with or without an instructor, from the neighbouring sailing club.In rooms: LCD TV, WIFi.
- Check–out Midday.
Children Very welcome. Cots are free, as are extra beds for kids up to 12.
- Also Ferries run regularly between the wharf next to Restaurant J and central Stockholm; the trip takes 15 minutes and ferries run until midnight in summer.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms Room 216 is a suite in the new wing and has two floors, a double-aspect view and a private balcony. Room 118 has a sea view. Room 431 is the honeymoon suite and has a Jacuzzi bath.
Food and drink at Hotel J
- Hotel restaurant Brasserie-style Restaurant J looks out over the bay of Saltsjön, and is every bit as yacht-club nautical as the rest of the hotel, with oak chairs and tables, white wooden paneling, red, white and blue furnishings and an open fire. The extensive menu draws heavily from the ocean, and is influenced by modern American cuisine. (Book two days a ahead for the spectacular archipelago platter of shellfish.) In summer, the 250-seat terrace by the water’s edge is the alfresco option.
- Dress code Breezy informality.
- Top table Out in the terrace in the summer; by the fireplace in the winter.
- Last orders Restaurant J takes food orders from 11.30am to 10pm, during the week and from noon to 10pm on weekends.
- Room service A snack or light-meal menu is available round the clock.
- Hotel bar Set in the 19th-century summer house beside the hotel, Tornvillans bar is a cosy clubby spot, dotted with original features including tiled stoves, oil portraits and an open fireplace.