- Style Technicolour dreamboat
- Setting Regal Royal Mile
The Hotel Missoni hotel introduces a splash of colour and glamour to the handsome, yet staid and grey stone of Edinburgh’s Royal Mile. Most rooms in this glitzy getaway have views of the nearby castle or other scenic sights, while the restaurant and bar feel fashion-show fabulous.
Need to know
- Rooms 136, including seven suites.
- Rates Double rooms from $213.84 (£131), excluding tax at 20 per cent.
- More details Breakfast is not usually included, except for guests booking a Maggiore Room or above.
- Facilities Spa, gym, DVD library and free on-demand movies; free WiFi throughout. In rooms: flatscreen TV, iPod dock, free minibar, bottled water, Nespresso machines and Missoni bath products; two items laundered free daily; no charge for local telephone calls.
- Check–out Midday; check-in, from 3pm.
Children Little Smiths are welcome; cots provided free for children up to 12; kids over 12, £45 a night. Babysitting with a local nanny is available for £10–£15 an hour (book two days in advance).
- Also Pooches can join the party for £50 a night. There’s also a lovely courtyard seating area.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms The D’Argento Suite is the headline act, with views of the Old Town stretching beyond Arthur’s Seat as far as the Firth of Forth, and one-off Missoni-designed furniture pieces. Our special-occasion pick is 507 on the top floor for its giant Victorian window looking straight out at Edinburgh Castle. If you’re after more traditional lodging, or visiting in festival season, ask for a room on the Royal Mile – this part of the hotel dates back 300 years.
- Packing tips Some understated threads in neutral hues to avoid clashing with the wallpaper, vivid jewels for a shot of Missoni-inspired colour, and an Italian scarf to ward off the Edinburgh wind in style.
- Also Rosita Missoni, the brand’s co-founder, took control of the hotel’s design, and other members of the Missoni clan have added their touches – the black and white zigzag etchings are Tai’s, the bar’s moon photographs are Luca’s, and Rosita’s daughter, Angela, picked out the palette.
Food and drink at Hotel Missoni
- Hotel restaurant Cucina is sociable and bustling, with booths and banquette seating, framed Missoni prints in lollipop hues, and a huge communal wooden table near the glass wall overlooking the lobby. Food is Italian, of course, with mains including sea-bass with a herb and salt crust, and spinach and ricotta ravioli in a butter and sage sauce.
- Dress code Stick to cream, tan, navy and grey separates and let the decor do the talking.
- Top table Sit at the large wooden table for premium people-gazing.
- Last orders Breakfast between 7am and 10.30am; lunch from 12pm until 3pm; and dine from 6.30pm until 10.30pm. You can linger over liquid refreshments in Bar Missoni from 10am until 2am.
- Room service The 24-hour options continue the Italian theme, with offerings such as cured meats and items from the restaurant menu. Sweet treats include apple crumble and tiramisu.
- Hotel bar The resident drinking den, Bar Missoni, is given pride of place at the front of the hotel, and rightly so: its teal walls, dark wood floors and Missoni-print sofas are fit for the fashion set. Be sure to try the Bella Carina cocktail – a fruity prosecco blend – or the Basilito, a mojito-inspired grape and basil concoction.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More details