- Style Family-run Aeolian farmhouse
- Setting Il Postino country
A series of coiffed terracotta-tiled terraces filled with fragrant lemon trees and bougainvillea vines provide the elegantly rustic-Mediterranean Hotel Signum on the Aeolian island of Salina with a backdrop as beautiful as its wrought-iron beds and blue window frames. Many of the breezy rooms come with private balconies looking out over the sapphire Mediterranean. In the restaurant, you’ll find the freshest of fish from the same sea.
Need to know
- Rooms 30.
- Rates Double rooms from $125.00 (€91), excluding tax at 10 per cent.
- More details Rates include breakfast.
- Facilities Spa, solarium, massage, library. Vespa hire can be easily arranged at the hotel. The staff are also happy to organise sailing and diving trips.
- Poolside There is an infinity pool.
- Check–out 11am.
Children Welcome, although the atmosphere is one of quiet relaxation.
- Hotel closed Mid-November to mid-March.
- Also Hydrofoils ferry guests to Milazzo from Salina, a 90-minute ride (6:30am–7pm).
In the know
- Our favourite rooms Rooms 11 (a Suite with a separate living room) and 12 (a Deluxe) both have terraces with sea views, and are located slightly away from the rest of the rooms, offering a bit more privacy and seclusion. Room 25 – a large suite – has a private terrace; Room 34 is also very spacious.
- Also Signum's spa, Salus per Aquam, specialises in geothermic water treatments and steam baths, as well as a particularly invigorating ice massage. Some treatments are conducted on a bed of thermal rose salt, others in a 19th-century copper tub. Managed separately from the hotel, there's a charge of €25 for a half day.
Food and drink at Hotel Signum
- Hotel restaurant Mediterranean food with a international twist; we love the four-course tasting menus of Aeolian specialities. You are encouraged to let the hotel know by lunchtime if you plan to dine in the restaurant.
- Dress code Dress up for dinner.
- Top table On the terrace or, if it’s a chilly evening, by the window.
- Room service Food and drinks are available 7am to midnight
- Hotel bar Open until midnight.