Hotel St Paul
- Style Beaux Canada
- Setting Stylish streets of Vieux Montréal
Something of a trailblazer in a city swimming in bland business boltholes, Hotel St Paul offers a welcoming minimalism in Montreal’s hippest quarter. Occupying an old, bold Beaux Arts building, this swank sanctuary seamlessly blends touches of daring – a fire-lit cube glows over the lobby and floaty muslin drapes transport you to warmer climes – with the city's history.
Need to know
- Rooms 120, including 20 suites.
- Rates Double rooms from $196.47 (CA$209), excluding tax at 19 per cent.
- Facilities Gym, massage service, free wifi throughout, valet parking (CA$26.50 a day). In rooms: LCD TV, CD sound system, minibar. Suites have DVD players.
- Check–out Midday, but flexible, subject to availability.
Children Under-12s stay free. Extra beds are CA$36 a day. Babysitting can be provided, with eight hours’ notice, for CA$15 an hour.
- Also Small pets are welcome for a fee of CA$75.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms Hotel St Paul is justifiably proud of its Black Suite on the penthouse floor (where all rooms boast 13-foot vaulted ceilings). Floor-to-ceiling muslin curtains lend a dreaminess to the atmosphere around the bed, and tall, white, folding shutters let in plenty of light to counterbalance the charcoal tones of the walls and floors. Junior Suite 1005 also grabbed our attention – we loved the burnt orange velvety sofa and the huge shuttered windows. At very least, try to get a room looking out over old Montreal or one high up the building with a view towards the St Lawrence river.
- Packing tips Montreal’s winters can be bone-chafingly frigid, so dress up warm twice over.
Food and drink at Hotel St Paul
- Hotel restaurant Hambar places the a premium on pig, serving a ham-tasting menu and an impressive menu of charcuterie.
- Dress code Suave and stylish – moody monochrome ensembles to match the decor.
- Top table Greet the day from a seat overlooking the streets of old Montreal.
- Room service The hotel can deliver breakfast to your room. At other times, the staff will happily call in orders to nearby eateries.
- Hotel bar The bar serves aperitifs cocktails, wine and champagne. There is also a menu of light fare to accompany cocktails.