- Style Spanish simplicity, Scandinavian flair
- Setting Palma’s Gothic quarter
A 16th-century palace, Hotel Tres is a boutique with a rooftop terrace overlooking the iconic cathedral in Palma, Mallorca’s main city. Located in a cobbled alley of the city’s old quarter, this Scandinavian-inspired city retreat has stone terraces and bright white bedding. A short 15 minutes from the airport and overlooking Palma’s port, this hideaway has a sunsplashed rooftop pool and is a short stroll from excellent bars and restaurants.
Need to know
- Rooms 41, including three suites (two junior, one grand).
- Rates Double rooms from $209.97 (€155), excluding tax at 10 per cent.
- More details Rates include buffet breakfast.
- Facilities Roof terrace, sauna, courtyard, free WiFi everywhere (except in three single rooms which have cable access) and a library, including CDs and DVDs. In rooms: flatscreen TV, DVD and CD player, air-conditioning, minibar, Face of Stockholm toiletries.
- Poolside There is a fabulous rooftop plunge pool with a sun terrace.
- Check–out Noon. Earliest check-in, 3pm.
Children Little Smiths are welcome, with cots for babies provided free of charge and extra beds for €30 a night, plus seven per cent tax.
- Also No smoking or pets allowed in the hotel.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms If you’re feeling decadent, splash out – literally – on the palatial grand suite; it has its own Jacuzzi on the private terrace, so you can immerse yourself in bubbles and toast the Palma views as the sun sets. There’s a rooftop rain shower for soaping in style, and sunloungers to help you soak up that sun, supine. When you want to cool down, camp out in the living room. Alternatively, the double rooms with terrace are ideal for people-watching, star-gazing and lazy breakfasts and the double rooms are equally stylish, with their arched wooden ceiling beams and muted, minimalist decor. Beds have long work-table tops which you can slide over or away from the bed; perfect for book-resting, laptop-balancing or TV dinners – not that you're likely to want to be that bed-bound here.
- Packing tips Stylish swimwear for posing on the roof terrace. A camera to capture the views – or maybe an art pad or paint palette to make like Joan Miró – many an artist has met their muse in Mallorca.
- Also Keep an eye out for the saucy anatomically inspired prints above some of the beds.
Food and drink at Hotel Tres
- Hotel restaurant Hotel Tres keeps things characteristically simple in terms of food – guests can always head out to the nearby eateries. If you can’t prise yourself from that rooftop, Tres Bistro serves up an uncomplicated but delicious array of salads, burgers and traditional tapas. The mozzarella and prosciutto salad makes a perfect late lunch in the sun. There’s no formal dining area as such; instead eat in the bar, breakfast room, on the roof or in the courtyard.
- Dress code Casual holidaymaker by day; city slicker by night.
- Top table Did we mention the rooftop terrace?
- Last orders Breakfast, 7.30am–11am and lunch and dinner whenever – food is available 1pm–10pm.
- Room service The bistro menu is available as room service 7.30am–10pm, along with some light snacks afterwards.
- Hotel bar Tres bar is laidback and stylish. Rainbow-hued fibre optics illuminate the Nordic white, wood, leather and cowhide surrounds. It’s a smart but relaxed drinking spot, accessorised with ever-helpful staff and content, sun-soaked guests lingering over the killer mojitos. Great local wines beg to be sipped through too.