- Style Breezy beach house
- Setting Chocolate-box Cornish village
Once a yachting club, the Hotel Tresanton in Cornwall was built in the fifties as a charming clutch of portside houses. On the unfairly overlooked southern coast between St Mawes and Falmouth (easily reached via foot paths through the fields), this coastal retreat now attracts more stylish A-listers than sailors, thanks to extensive renovation by hotelier Olga Polizzi.
Need to know
- Rooms 31, including 12 with a terrace, one with a garden, and three family suites.
- Rates Double rooms from $342.15 (£208), excluding tax at 20 per cent.
- More details Rates include breakfast. A minimum two-night stay is required at weekends.
- Facilities 50-person cinema. Hire Pinuccia, Tresanton’s 48-foot racing yacht with crew or a motorboat for beach trips with picnic lunches.
- Check–out 11am.
Children Very welcome. A full-time nanny organises activities for kids during the summer months. Babysitters can be booked in advance.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms Room 1, and Room 29 in the Nook, are often booked by honeymooners; Rooms 5 and 6 are in the main building and both have a terrace; Room 7 has a particularly large window with a great view.
- Packing tips Beach shoes, binoculars, sou’wester if you’re feeling boaty.
- Also Sailing and windsurfing lessons can be arranged. Wellies and crabbing nets provided. DVDs and board games will keep you amused on rainy days.
Food and drink at Hotel Tresanton
- Hotel restaurant The restaurant specialises in fish and other local and organic produce. Breakfast is served until 10.30am.
- Dress code People definitely make a bit of an effort in the evening.
- Top table Weather permitting, book a table on the terrace; otherwise, a window table.
- Last orders Kitchen closes at 9.30pm; after that, a cold supper can be arranged. The bar is open late.
- Room service All night, within reason.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More details