Inn at the Presidio
- Style Boutique barracks
- Setting Bridge-view bayside park
Hidden on protected forested parkland within the city of San Francisco, the Inn at the Presidio hotel gives guests a sense of what old California must have been like. Housed in a red-brick lodge that was once used as officers quarters of the US army, it has been eco-sensibly refreshed and renovated with a healthy dose of tasteful art and photography alongside military memorabilia. All the hustle, bustle and foodie-centric culture of the City by the Bay is just a quick drive away.
Need to know
- Rooms 22, including 17 suites.
- Rates Double rooms from $215.00, excluding tax at 14 per cent.
- More details Rates include Continental breakfast and evening wine-and-cheese receptions.
- Facilities Back patio, fire pit, living room, free WiFi throughout. In rooms: flatscreen TV, iPod docking station, minibar, coffeemaker, desk, EO bath products. Suites have fireplaces, too.
- Check–out Noon. Earliest check-in, 3pm.
Children Bring the little ones: the hotel can provide pack-and-plays or an inflatable bed in Suites for no extra charge, and there are child-friendly books in each room.
- Eco‐friendly This park-surrounded hotel knows how to stay green: products are local whenever possible, no toxic chemicals are used on the grounds and bath products come in reusable containers. The LEED-certified building also has trees strategically planted to minimise the need for air conditioning.
- Also Dogs are welcome; a $45 non-refundable deposit is payable for your pooch to bed down in your room.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms Take over 211, a second-floor Suite, for access to the communal porch, large side windows overlooking a century-old cypress, and views down a landscaped block of officers’ quarters that are also the oldest streetscape in San Francisco. Room 332 up on the third floor had the best views of the Bay.
- Packing tips Bring leaf-pressing gear: the park is full of Californian flora. Pack swimwear: guests of the inn have access to the park’s beaches, though the water can be chilly.
- Also The photography in each room was snapped at different places around the Presidio. A lobby map places each image within the park. Scan the map’s QR codes with your phone and they’ll show you how to find where each shot was taken.
Food and drink at Inn at the Presidio
- Hotel restaurant The hotel does not have a restaurant, but serves free Continental breakfast of pastries and yogurt to guests each morning. In the evenings, the Inn serves wine and cheese.
- Dress code Military-inspired jackets and casual clothes will be ideal for exploring the old barracks and wandering the park.
- Top table Head outside to the back patio with morning coffee.
- Last orders Breakfast is served until 10am.
- Room service Not available, though the Inn has a long list of recommended local spots.
- Hotel bar None, but there is a liquor-stocked minibar in each room, so guests can bring a bottle of local wine out to the back patio.