- Style Coppola’s colonial villa
- Setting Downtown Palermo
Set in the hip Palermo Soho neighbourhood of Buenos Aires, the former home of Francis Ford Coppola is now the seven-room hotel Jardin Escondido. The space that inspired the filmmaker is a retreat rich with Argentine textiles where a leafy, colourful garden and inviting living areas welcome guests seeking local flavour. For peace or a stylish peek into Palermo life, boutique Jardin Escondido is an ideal base-camp.
Need to know
- Rooms Seven.
- Rates Double rooms from $305.00, excluding tax at 21 per cent.
- More details Rates include Continental breakfast.
- Facilities DVD library, free WiFi throughout. In rooms: flatscreen TV, DVD player.
- Poolside The small, unheated pool is perfect for a cooling dip, and though there's no room for loungers, it's a welcome addition to the garden.
- Check–out Noon, or later if you pay for an extra half day. Earliest check-in, 3pm.
Children Cots for babies are free. With two days’ notice, babysitting can be arranged for $15 an hour.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms Each room is named for a member of the Coppola family and features terracotta tiles and weighty salta blankets. We prefer the privacy of the largest room, Francis. Set apart from the main building, it has a king-size bed and private garden balcony with a breakfast table. Pen your own Oscar-worthy screenplay at the dark-wood desk.
- Packing tips Pack lightly to leave room for finds from Palermo Soho’s posh boutiques. Bring mosquito spray for the garden and floral prints to complement the blooms. Riding boots will help if you plan to make off like a gaucho across the grassy pampas.
- Also With three days' notice, the hotel can hire a parrilla master to assist in buying local meat and vegetables for a full Argentinian barbecue in the back garden.
Food and drink at Jardin Escondido
- Hotel restaurant None, though the hotel does serve breakfast in its lounge. Good food is never far: surrounding Palermo Soho is home to some of the city’s best restaurants. The garden parilla is available for guests’ use.
- Dress code Greet the day in bold, garden-inspired prints.
- Top table On sunny mornings, opt to take your traditional Argentine breakfast under the garden trellis.
- Last orders Breakfast is served between 8.30am and 12.30pm.
- Room service None.
- Hotel bar The honesty bar boasts an extensive wine selection from Francis Ford Coppola’s vineyards and nearby Mendoza. The hotel's on-call sommelier is at your service to dispense advice on pairings, tastings and great bottles to bring home as gifts.