- Style Grown-up rustic retreat
- Setting Forested foothills
Tented tented villas are ringed by craggy mountains and lush jungle at Kirimaya hotel, in Khao Yai, located a few hours from Bangkok. This peaceful retreat is Thailand’s version of a sultry safari, with contemporary sophistication in an all-natural environment. Rooms showcase the best of modern Thai design in a simple understated way, fitted with antique doors and scenic decks for wildlife watching.
Need to know
- Rooms 64, including 11 suites.
- Rates Double rooms from $133.19 (THB4,274), excluding tax at 17 per cent.
- More details Rates include buffet breakfast.
- Facilities Jack Nicklaus-designed 18-hole golf course with clubhouse, locker rooms, pro shop, personal butler, WiFi throughout, CD/DVD library, gym, spa. In rooms: flatscreen TV, CD/DVD players, minibar.
- Poolside The infinity pool with lush mountain backdrop is serenity itself.
- Check–out Noon, or any time until 6pm for an extra half-day rate, subject to availability. Check-in, 2pm.
Children Welcome; baby cots are supplied free of charge and extra beds for older children cost THB1,400 a night.
- Eco‐friendly Wherever possible, Kirimaya's buildings have been constructed from local materials; all sit in harmony with the pristine environment. Restaurant food is sourced locally when available.
- Also If you’re seeking peace, book a stay during the week, as weekends are popular with city-weary Bangkokians and things can get busy.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms Play Out of Africa in one of the romantic Tented Villas. The canvas exterior belies the elegant luxury within. Decor is a simple yet comfortable mix of natural textures and colonial-style furniture, with a massive sunken spa pool at its centre. With a private deck and mountain vistas, this is safari-chic at its sexiest.
- Packing tips We know this is the tropics, but pack a few sweaters for chilly evenings, especially between November and February. For those intent on spotting wildlife – from elephants to one of the four species of hornbills – binoculars are a must.
- Also Want to go on a night safari, pamper yourself with a treatment at Maya Spa or have a private barbecue at your villa? Take it easy by allowing the personal butler to organise everything.
Food and drink at Kirimaya
- Hotel restaurant Graze on a menu of modern Thai and international food at the open-sided, high-ceilinged Acala Restaurant, overlooking the lake and golf course. Above is the Mist, an intimate venue serving Japanese cuisine. At the clubhouse, T-Grill is a safari-style steakhouse, complete with faux leopard-skin seats.
- Dress code Ralph Lauren khakis and Nicole Farhi linens to get into safari mode.
- Top table The corner table closest to the golf course at Acala is best for views and a cool breeze.
- Last orders Kirimaya's restaurants and bar open till 11pm.
- Room service 6am to midnight (last orders at 11pm), with a range of tasty Thai treats.
- Hotel bar Inspired by a wildlife hideout, but with sleek leather chairs and charcoal sofas, the Mist bar is a minimalist, masculine spot for afternoon tea or an evening cocktail, with killer views of the national park. Try the resort’s own take on a lychee martini, called the Smile of Khao Yai.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More details