La Villa Gallici
- Style Chintz with chutzpah
- Setting Cultured vieille ville
Close to the heart of Aix-en-Provence, La Villa Gallici hotel is a honey-coloured countryside villa with idyllic grounds packed with cypress and plane trees. Classic without being conservative, this sensual mansion boasts opulent interiors, ornate toile de Jouy wallpaper and a poolside setting that Cezanne could only dream of painting.
Need to know
- Rooms 22, including five suites.
- Rates Double rooms from $294.60 (€215), excluding tax at 7 per cent. Please note the hotel charges an additional local city tax of €1.35 per person per night on check-out.
- More details Rates exclude breakfast (€30 a person).
- Facilities Free WiFi throughout, outdoor heated pool, flatscreen TV, valet parking.
- Check–out 12pm, but flexible. Check-in, 3pm.
Children Cots are provided free and extra beds are €50 each. Babysitting with a local nanny is €10.
- Hotel closed January.
- Also Pets are welcome for €50 a day.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms Superior Room 8 has a grand four-poster bed and hand-painted Chinoiserie-style wallpaper in eau-de-nil tones. Suite Room 1 has a terrace which overlooks the pool. We love the romantic bathroom with a central slipper bath and separate shower in Deluxe Room 24. Suite Room 20 is a cream-and-taupe split-level sanctuary, with the bedroom downstairs, and a flashy black and white bathroom.
- Packing tips Big sunglasses, an Hermès scarf and chic flats for Mrs Smith; a black poloneck for Mr Smith to wear while discussing Balzac or Zola.
Food and drink at La Villa Gallici
- Hotel restaurant The opulent dining room is formal but cosy, with sofas and squashy chairs pulled up to linen-draped tables. The candlelit terrace has a more relaxed summer-dining look. Lunch is served between 12.30pm and 1.30pm; dinner is between 7.30pm and 9.30pm. The fine-dining menu features pan-fried foie gras with cherries, roasted John Dory and chicory-anise ice-cream.
- Dress code Don the French grandes marques (Chanel, Hermès and co), but opt for understated.
- Top table Out on the terrace for some romantic seclusion.
- Last orders The bar is open all day, closing when the restaurant does.
- Room service The simple menu includes cheese boards, smoked salmon, soup and omelettes – available any time. The hotel will also bring you afternoon tea wherever you choose to take it – on the terrace, in your room or in the grounds.
- Hotel bar The bar is next to the restaurant and just as lavish – trompe l'oeil effects on the walls, florals and stripes on the soft furnishings. Any cocktail you like will be whipped up as you unwind to lounge and jazz classics.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More details