- Style Metropolitan merchant’s mansion
- Setting Sóller’s mountain-shaded streets
Historic Mediterranean architecture gets a dose of the modern amid the playful prints and original details at L'Avenida hotel, a stone Spanish mansion in the mountain town of Sóller, on Mallorca. Wrought-iron balustrades and carved mouldings seamlessly blend with artistic accents and contemporary furniture. Expect lazy days by the peaceful pool, sunsets overlooking the sea and strolls along the jasmine-scented roads of the Tramuntana.
Need to know
- Rooms 12, including four suites.
- Rates Double rooms from $157.80 (€115), excluding tax at 10 per cent.
- More details Rates include Continental breakfast.
- Facilities Sun terrace, lounge bar, library of books, CDs/DVDs, games (Scrabble, backgammon etc). In rooms, minibar, flatscreen TV, CD/DVD player, WiFi, AC, safe, hand-blended organic toiletries, waffle robes and slippers.
- Poolside The blue-tiled outdoor swimming pool is flanked by black decking dotted with inviting sun-loungers and linen-covered couches. It’s a little overlooked by neighbouring houses at the back, but you won’t care about that when the sun is out.
- Check–out Midday, but flexible on request and subject to availability.
Children Over-14s are welcome; however, L’Avenida is more of a grown-up getaway.
- Also There’s a three-night minimum stay in high season. In-room aromatherapy, massages and beauty treatments are available – book in advance. The property is non-smoking, but you can light up on the balcony or the terrace.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms The higher you go, the better the views: try to get a room on the first or second floor for the best mountain-enhanced vistas. Spacious Luxury Suites 3 (first floor) and 7 (second floor) have four-poster beds and freestanding roll-top tubs, and look out across the street to pretty gardens and mountains beyond – the view from Suite 7’s bathroom is our favourite. Junior Suite 2 on the first floor has pool and mountain views through French windows from its king-size bed. Of the smaller rooms, we love dinky beamed Standard Double 9 in the attic, and Superior Double 4, with views from its bedroom and bathroom windows. Room 5 is a split-level Mezzanine Double with a platform bed.
- Packing tips Bikinis and beach kit: the nearest sandy stretch is only 10 minutes away. Trainers/boots for cycling and walking.
- Also Owners Tania and Paul can arrange fantastic activities, including guided mountain hikes, wine tasting and helicopter tours.
Food and drink at L'Avenida
- Hotel restaurant The hotel's outdoor L’Avenida Bistro is open for lunch 1–3.30pm Monday to Saturday from mid-April to mid-September, and serves an eclectic mix of Modern Mediterranean dishes. A laid-back buffet brunch is served on Sundays, 1.30–4pm. For dinner, ask the hotel's staff for recommendations: they can often secure reservations at even the hottest local restaurants.
- Dress code Holiday hip (or hiking hip, if that’s your bag).
- Top table A candlelit table for two outside on the terrace.
- Room service Drinks are available 24 hours a day; for snacks, your complimentary minibar will be restocked daily.
- Hotel bar During summer, drinks are served on the terrace overlooking the pool. In winter, sip cocktails in the cosy library.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More details