Maia Luxury Resort & Spa
- Style Wholly holistic happy hideaway
- Setting Thatched villas with bay views
Thatched roofs peak out through a lush hillside at Maia Luxury Resort & Spa hotel, an all-villa property on the sandy shores of the southwest coast of Mahé in the Seychelles. Overlooking Anse Louis beach, it has the peaceful privacy of a spare yoga retreat but with welcome touches of luxury. Expect all the island fantasy clichés here – palm branches are blowing in the breeze, the sand is bright white and waters are astonishingly turquoise.
Need to know
- Rooms 30 villas.
- Rates Double rooms from $1786.07 (€1,300), excluding tax at 15 per cent. Please note the hotel charges an additional service charge of 10% per on check-out.
- More details Rates include breakfast, most drinks, transfers, welcome champagne and massage, exercise classes and laundry.
- Facilities Spa, fitness centre, free non-motorised watersports, excursions to neighbouring islands. In rooms: flatscreen TV, DVD player, iPod docking station. Villas all have private infinity pools and sunken outdoor double baths.
- Poolside Made from black lava stone, the main communal infinity pool offers an ideal vantage point over the hotel’s long, white-sand beach.
- Check–out 10am, although this is flexible, subject to availability.
Children Little ones are welcome in the Ocean Front Villas, where free 24-hour babysitting is available.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms With its stunning views over two different sections of the bay, Signature Villa 221 is the one to ask for. The Ocean Panoramic Villas have wonderful 180-degree vistas of waves and wiggling palm fronds.
- Packing tips Bring a snorkel. There’s a reef, teeming with the sort of primary-coloured sealife that you would normally only see in an aquarium, right in front of the hotel. Maia can also arrange scuba-diving excursions for an extra cost.
Food and drink at Maia Luxury Resort & Spa
- Hotel restaurant Five chefs knock up exquisite Indian, Asian, Oriental and Creole cuisine – think stuffed baby squid with ratatouille and lobster, or porcini mushrooms with duck liver and black truffle terrine – in the open-sided Tec-Tec. Maia also has an impressive wine collection, and the resident sommelier will be happy to introduce you to new favourites. Private tastings in the hotel’s wine cellar can be arranged.
- Dress code Linen trousers for the men; floaty, Jade Jagger-esque dresses for the ladies.
- Top table Intimate tables are beneath a high ceiling dominated by an enormous hanging light. Or ask your private butler to set up a candlelit table for you on the beach, where you can feed each other foie gras by the light of the silvery moon.
- Hotel bar Enjoy cocktails on the bleached decking of the informal Sunset Pool Bar, while looking out over both the complex’s main pool and the Indian Ocean.