- Style Casa famiglia
- Setting Venice’s tranquil twin
The first boutique hotel in Treviso, Maison Matilda hotel is a retreat where charismatic, chatty hosts and breakfast served all day makes you feel like a local. Rooms are in rich mahogany tones and the atmosphere is of the do-as-you-wish variety. May all its successors be similarly effortlessly elegant.
Need to know
- Rooms Six, including one suite.
- Rates Double rooms from $225.59 (€164), excluding tax at 10 per cent.
- More details Rates include breakfast.
- Facilities Library, free WiFi throughout. In rooms: flatscreen TV, CD player, Tivoli radio, Ortigia bath products, Nespresso coffee, Mariage Frères tea and soft drinks.
- Check–out 12 noon, but you can stay a little longer if there’s no-one else booked in. Earliest check-in, 1pm.
Children Cots are provided free; extra beds for 8–14-year-olds cost €50 a night (otherwise they’re €80).
- Also In-room beauty treatments can be arranged.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms True to its name, La Romantica is a love den worth swooning over for its red lacquered four-poster bed that’s king-size but feels bigger, high ceilings with white wooden beams, parquet flooring, shower for two, and peaceful private terrace with views over the courtyard. Cosy and inviting, La Musica – taking up the whole top floor – has a treehouse-y feel and is teched out with a Bang & Olufsen sound system (hence the name). ‘Best Bathroom’ prize goes to La Suite, which dazzles with its Carrera marble-clad number.
- Packing tips Cobble-friendly footwear and cycling shorts to fit in with the bike-happy locals.
Food and drink at Maison Matilda
- Hotel restaurant None, but Maison Matilda’s only a stroll away from some great restaurants. Breakfast can be served at any time of day in your bedroom, by the fire in the living room, on the terrace, or in the courtyard.
- Dress code Match the decor: start with vintage, supplement with neutral, and embellish with contemporary.
- Top table Shotgun the sunloungers on the terrace, or settle in with a book on the sleek ivory sofa.
- Last orders You can request breakfast at any time.
- Room service Nothing formal, but staff will do whatever they can if you ask.
- Hotel bar There’s no bar, but there’s an in-room soft-drink stash, and staff will serve stronger refreshments anywhere in the hotel. The owners often host cocktail evenings.