Mario de' Fiori 37
- Style Refined Roman retreat
- Setting Vibrant Via Condotti
The hotel Mario de’ Fiori 37 – a historic 17th-century townhouse with mosaic bathrooms, original beamed ceilings and sumptuous canopied beds – is located in the heart of handsome Rome. A bustling shopping, sightseeing and art gallery scene is steps from the doorstep of this peaceful, stylish retreat.
Need to know
- Rooms Seven, including three suites.
- Rates Double rooms from $175.18 (€127), excluding tax at 10 per cent. Please note the hotel charges an additional local city tax of €2.00 per person per night on check-out.
- More details Rates exclude a Continental breakfast buffet of home-made pastries, local cheeses and cold cuts, hardboiled eggs, fruit salad, fresh juice and tea or coffee (€18 a person).
- Facilities Free WiFi throughout, concierge (7am until 10.30pm), night porter. In rooms: flatscreen TV, Nespresso machine and minibar.
- Check–out 11am, but flexible, subject to availability (and a €100 charge after 1pm). Check-in, from 2pm.
Children Little Smiths are welcome, with cots free for babies and extra beds for €30. Babysitting with a local nanny costs €20–€25 an hour. The hotel has a booklet called ‘Kids in Rome’, which lists child-friendly activities.
- Also No pets or smoking. Sister property Babuino 181 serves Continental breakfast on their roof terrace and complimentary drinks after 6pm.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms Go for a Junior Suite – a romantic choice, with its creamy palette and elegant swooping canopy above the bed. Inky blue chairs and chunky candles in the fireplace are homely touches. Or splurge on the Rooftop Suite, and sleep beneath the timber beams, surrounded by white and cream walls, wood panelling and a cosy sofa and chair.
- Packing tips A cashmere scarf; filmstar-fabulous sunglasses; a scent with a citrus zing to refresh you in the heat. Mrs Smiths: since the walk back to the hotel is never far, bring your heels and give the local goddesses a run for their money.
- Also Look out for Carlo Gavazzeni’s photos of Roman monuments, fountains and statues adorning the walls. Epstein layers multiple photographs to make one image, resulting in a painterly effect.
Food and drink at Mario de' Fiori 37
- Hotel restaurant Breakfast is brought to rooms between 8.30am and 10am. The hotel doesn’t have a restaurant, but there are plenty of foodie options nearby. Nearby sister property Babuino 181 serves Continental breakfast, and guests can pick a free cocktail each from the extensive menu after 6pm.
- Room service No room service here, so pick up in-room provisions from the shops and delis on Piazza del Popolo.