- Style White and bright
- Setting Sunkissed Algarve shore
Whitewashed and windswept, Memmo Baleeira hotel is a serene resort near Sagres, on the Portuguese coast, with a spa, surf school and seafront perch. Originally built in the 1960s, it retains its signature bright white exterior while upgrading the breezy interiors with minimal, coastal cool décor in hues of blue and cream.
Need to know
- Rooms 144, including 39 suites.
- Rates Double rooms from $122.50 (€90), excluding tax at 6 per cent.
- More details Rates include a buffet breakfast.
- Facilities Spa, surf centre, gym, DVD library and free WiFi. In rooms: flatscreen TV, minibar and Comfort Zone bath products. Memmo Suites also have DVD players, bathrobes and kitchenettes with fridges, microwaves, kettles and toasters.
- Poolside An unheated rectangular outdoor pool lines the clifftop, surrounded by sunloungers, thatched parasols and its own bar. There’s a small heated pool in the spa as well.
- Check–out 12pm, but flexible. Earliest check-in, 3pm.
Children Cots for babies are provided free. With 24 hours’ notice, staff can be drafted in to babysit (€10 an hour).
- Also There’s a disabled-access room on the ground floor, as well as lifts and ramps throughout the hotel.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms We love the privacy of the one- and two-bedroom Memmo Suites – the ones on the ground floor are close to the action, with a terrace that adjoins the main grassy lawn, but feel snug and secluded; those on higher floors have glazed balconies. They’re spacious, too, and have an open-plan kitchenette. Otherwise, you can’t go wrong with a Standard Sea Bay View (for its lovely, beachy view).
- Packing tips Sea-based activity gear: surfboard, wetsuit, snorkel, etc.
- Also The Memmo Spa has three treatment rooms, a gym, a Turkish bath and a small heated pool – there's a variety of marine-themed massages and beauty treatments available, as well as Shiatsu and reflexology.
Food and drink at Memmo Baleeira
- Hotel restaurant The fishing port is visible from the main restaurant so watch for the catch of the day coming in. The chef cooks up a daily dish, which is served with a free glass of matching wine. The cuisine is Mediterranean and mostly local. Floor-to-ceiling glass lets the sea views in, and guests are seated on 1960s Scandinavian chairs from the old hotel.
- Dress code White, blue or brown; you’d look out of place otherwise.
- Top table For uninterrupted ocean views through floor-to-ceiling glass, ask for a table at the front of the restaurant.
- Last orders Breakfast is served from 7am until 10am during the week, and 11am at weekends. Dinner is 7.30pm until 10pm. The bar shuts at either midnight or 1am.
- Room service 24 hours, with dishes from the lounge bar menu available when the kitchens are open (€7 delivery charge).
- Hotel bar The Memmo Lounge coffee shop is open for light lunches during the day, with salads, burgers and simple tapas. Come sunset, the relaxed vibe continues with mean mojitos, Balearic beats and jazzy lounge tunes: there are white leather sofas to slink onto, or alfresco terrace tables with tea lights flickering in the sea breezes.