One Royal Circus
- Style Neoclassical playboy mansion
- Setting Refined New Town crescent
No mere guesthouse, Edinburgh’s One Royal Circus B&B offers more in the way of comfort and style than the average city hotel, with a baby grand piano, billiards room, gym and library. It’s like staying at a trendy friend’s place, if you have a trendy friend who happens to live in an impressive neo-classical townhouse in one of two picture-perfect crescents surrounding manicured gardens. It might be a perfect party palace for groups of friends, but that shouldn’t (and doesn't) stop couples from kicking back and enjoying the style and luxury of this fantastic guesthouse, with massive beds and excellent breakfasts.
Need to know
- Rooms Five, including two suites.
- Rates Double rooms from $292.93 (£178).
- More details Rates include breakfast and drinks (but not premium spirits). There's a two-night minimum stay at weekends and throughout August.
- Facilities Gym, Bonzini Babyfoot table, pool table, baby grand piano, library of books, CDs and DVDs, free WiFi. In rooms, flatscreen TV, CD/DVD player (on request), iPod dock, Frette bedlinen, Arran Aromatics/L’Occitane toiletries.
- Check–out 12 noon, but flexible. Earliest check-in, 9am.
Children You’re welcome to bring the bairns: extra beds can be provided for £45 a night (beds or cots are free for under-5s). Babysitting is available with advance notice (£10 an hour), and there are books, PlayStations and games to entertain them.
- Also Rent the house exclusively and get the owners to organise your private party.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms Each of the rooms is spacious, and bathrooms are all tricked out with Hansgrohe fittings by Philippe Starck. We love the two suites, which occupy the upper floors; those at the front have views over Royal Circus. The top-floor master suite can be made into a family suite with an interconnecting room featuring handmade bunk beds.
- Packing tips Preloaded iPod to dock in your room; killer heels for posing on the red-velvet Edra Tatlin spiral sofa while your other half mixes your martini.
Food and drink at One Royal Circus
- Hotel restaurant This B&B hotel (B&B in this case standing for ‘bed of roses and breakfast of champions’) has no restaurant, but your morning repast – be it Continental or full Scottish – will be cooked to order using the finest, freshest ingredients available. You’ll be spoiled rotten with fresh coffee, home-made pastries and delicious muffins.
- Dress code Come as you are and treat the hotel as a grand home from home.
- Top table Breakfast is served in a modern diner-style kitchen. Take your drinks into the drawing room, recline on a chaise longue and admire the beautiful original 1820s ceiling paintings.
- Last orders … schmast orders.
- Room service None, but help yourself to soft drinks, tea and coffee and an occasional glass on the house.
- Hotel bar You can stock the bar with your own favourite tipple or enjoy a complimentary drink on the owners.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More details