Hotel Palazzo Manfredi
- Style Caesar’s palace
- Setting Fringed by the Forum
With close-ups of the Colosseum just outside bedroom windows, Hotel Palazzo Manfredi is a 16th-century palazzo with all the oppulent Roman trimmings. Original marble floors, sumptuous drapes and a restaurant-enhanced rooftop with postcard-perfect panoramas of the ancient wonders of the Eternal City.
Need to know
- Rooms 16, including two suites.
- Rates Double rooms from $363.44 (€264), excluding tax at 10 per cent. Please note the hotel charges an additional local city tax of €3.00 per person per night on check-out.
- More details Rates exclude breakfast (€30 each).
- Facilities Library and free WiFi throughout. In rooms: flatscreen TV, DVD player, iPod dock, Bulgari bath products, minibar, free bottled water and newspapers.
- Check–out 12 noon, but flexible for €100 if there’s availability. Earliest check-in, 2pm.
Children There’s no charge for cots or extra beds. A local nanny can babysit for €40 an hour with 48 hours’ notice. The restaurant has a children’s menu.
- Also Check for private functions in the restaurant during your stay, as this will mean it's closed to guests.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms The ground-floor Junior Suite is spacious, furnished with a glossy leather table and velvet drapes, and you can gaze out at the Colosseum through the shuttered windows above the bath. All rooms except Classic and Prestige overlook the mighty monument.
- Packing tips Binoculars to inspect the Forum from your bedroom; gladiator sandals.
- Also Live the ultimate Italian experience by taking the house Lamborghini out for a spin. Rentals are for 12 or 24 hours.
Food and drink at Hotel Palazzo Manfredi
- Hotel restaurant Take in the jaw-dropping view of the hotel’s famous neighbour from the artfully rusted front terrace or dine inside at a candlelit table in the dining room. Star chef Giuseppe di Iorio cooks a feast of regional and Mediterranean food, adding a contemporary twist to his menu of traditional Roman cuisine. Don’t miss the tender tuna escalope, hand-made pasta twirls, red snapper steak and roasted lamb loin with pistachio stuffing.
- Dress code The Romans are fashionable but traditional, so stick to smart, and save shorts and sleeveless shirts for the beach.
- Top table Ask for a table on the terrace, where the food will be matched only by the view.
- Last orders Breakfast is served from 7am until 10.30am. Have lunch between 12.30pm and 3pm, and dinner from 7.30pm until 11pm. The bar is open from 10.30am until midnight.
- Room service Food from the restaurant can be ordered between 7am and midnight.
- Hotel bar Sip a Campari or sparkling bellini on one of the plush sofas in the bar, which overlooks Parco di Traiano across the street. Light lunches are on offer during the day, and a selection of Italian aperitifs, dessert wines and liquors in the evening.