- Style Gaudí-contoured caves
- Setting Dream lava
Santorini hotel Perivolas marries stunning scenery with a handsome hunk of history. An alluringly renovated cluster of 300 year-old caves, once the homes, wineries and stables of fishermen and farmers, is now 17 private houses that hug the edge of a cliff overlooking the brilliantly blue Aegean horizon.
Need to know
- Rooms 19, all with sea view.
- Rates Double rooms from $535.78 (€394), excluding tax at 6.5 per cent.
- More details Rate includes Mediterranean buffet breakfast.
- Facilities Spa, hamman, sauna and full gym.
- Poolside Infinity pool with sweeping views over the caldera.
- Check–out Midday.
Children This is a haven for grown-ups – no under-16s allowed.
- Hotel closed November until March inclusive.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms Studio 8 is cosy and bright, with a balcony. Suite 15 has a big, secluded outdoor terrace. The new deluxe suite has its own Jacuzzi tub and hammam. The Perivolas Suite is extremely spacious with a hot tub big enough for ten, and a private pool.
Food and drink at Perivolas
- Hotel restaurant Only residents can enjoy the Mediterranean cuisine here. Tables are candlelit with views out to sea.
- Dress code Carefree.
- Top table The outside terrace only has six; book one by the pool. Inside, the best tables are those nearest the entrance.
- Room service Food and drinks are available until 11pm.
- Hotel bar In high season, it closes when the last person leaves.