- Style Roman fashion house
- Setting Spanish Steps shopping streets
Indulge the fantasy of having your very own Roman pied-á-terre with a ravishing rooftop terrace at Portrait Roma hotel, a collection of apartments in a refined Italian townhouse from the Ferragamo empire. A spot adorned with shoe-related artwork and photographs capturing the shoemaker’s career belongs in Rome’s most fashion-conscious quarter, a high heel’s throw from the fashion-studded Via Condotti and Piazza di Spagna.
Need to know
- Rooms 14, including three suites.
- Rates Double rooms from $874.78 (€640), excluding tax at 10 per cent. Please note the hotel charges an additional local city tax of €2.00 per person per night on check-out.
- More details Suites include Continental breakfast.
- Facilities DVD library, free WiFi throughout. In rooms: kitchenette, flatscreen TV, DVD/CD player, iPod dock.
- Check–out 12 noon; later check-out may be available.
Children Under-threes can stay free and extra beds can be provided for older children (check rates when booking). Babysitting should be organised 48 hours in advance, and costs €20 an hour.
- Also Small pets are welcome; just make sure they accessorise with your shoes.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms Deluxe Studio 53 gets our vote, with its large marble bathroom and a balcony that’s ideal for scenic city breakfasts. The Penthouse Suite (51) occupies the hotel’s top two floors and boasts an L-shaped terrace overlooking the Trinità dei Monti, as well as a shower-sauna in the bathroom. Superior Studio 11 has a lovely view over via Bocca di Leone. As you’d expect from a hotel so deeply ensconced in the world of the fashionista, all mirrors are triple-panel hinge screens, all photographs feature Ferragamo’s shoe designs, and all soft furnishings create seamless colour contrasts (tan leather-covered desks, soft blue sofas, unexpected flashes of pink and green on the curtains).
- Packing tips An empty suitcase and a credit card with room to breathe – the myriad chichi boutiques of Via Condotti are easy on the eye and punishing on the purse.
- Also Portrait Roma is within walking distance of almost everything you’d want to see in Rome, but the hotel can organise a chauffeured car if you’re too lazy for legwork.
Food and drink at Portrait Roma
- Hotel restaurant There’s no restaurant at Portrait Roma but a breakfast platter of cereals, pastries, eggs and yogurt is served on the rooftop terrace.
- Dress code Palazzo pants and platforms.
- Top table Perch on the edge of the terrace with a glass of champagne and look out over the Eternal City’s skyline as the sun sets.
- Last orders The bar is stocked 24 hours a day, so just grab a drink when the mood takes.
- Room service Drinks and a small snack menu are available in rooms between 7am and 11pm.
- Hotel bar Cushioned wooden furniture, lanterns and shrub lanterns line the roof terrace, which also boasts an open fire for warming wintry cockles. There’s an honesty bar with a wide selection of refrigerated drinks. €20 a day gets you unlimited access.