Post Ranch Inn
- Style Dramatic cliffhanger
- Setting Redwood forest above the Pacific
WINNER: BEST SMITH HOTEL 2013 – SMITH HOTEL AWARDS 2013
Don't let the awe-inspiring redwood-forested Big Sur coastal location of Post Ranch Inn hotel's individual dwellings (it just seems wrong to call them cabins or cottages) distract you from that fact that these luxurious private lodgings are modern architectural wonders. Each of the 39 spacious modules is crafted from recycled redwood and enough paneled glass to let in all the light and views you could want. All offer complete seclusion, with breathtaking views of the ocean by day and the luminous expanse of stars by night. Really, the only reason to leave your room would be for the fantastic fine dining at Sierra Mar restaurant.
Need to know
- Rooms 39, including six suites.
- Rates Double rooms from $675.00, excluding tax at 10.5 per cent. Please note the hotel charges an additional local city tax of $2.00 per room per night on check-out.
- More details Rates include buffet breakfast.
- Facilities Spa, gym, CD and book library, free WiFi in the rooms and library. In rooms: CD player, iPod dock, handmade Post Ranch Inn bath products, bottled water and two half-bottles of wine.
- Poolside There are three heated infinity pools in the grounds – one lined with sea-weathered jade, a stainless steel one, and a lap pool by reception.
- Check–out 1pm. Check-in, 4pm.
Children Leave them at home - this hotel is only open to adults ages 18 and up.
- Also There’s a free minibar in the rooms, stocked with snacks and non-alcohol drinks.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms Pfeiffer is a cocoon of redwood with a secluded setting at the end of the cabins. Other humans will be hard to come by – all you can see is sparkling ocean, wild flowers and trees. We love the triple veranda, and the re-used redwood lining the walls in Ross.
- Packing tips A journal so you scribble some verse – this land’s-end location is sure to make you come over all poetic.
- Also The spa makes all of its own products using Big Sur’s flowers, picked from the high meadows on the estate. Book in for a ‘duet massage’ and let four hands see to your aches and pains, or be brave and risk a soul-retrieving shaman session.
Food and drink at Post Ranch Inn
- Hotel restaurant Sierra Mar is a ranch-style restaurant with sweeping views of the mountains, cliffs and ocean, its wooden-beamed interior edged with enormous windows to showcase the sights. The acclaimed chef adds new dishes to the menu daily, whipping up Californian fare with some French and Mediterranean influences – look out for the trio of scallops, roast rabbit and Alaskan halibut.
- Dress code Match the views out of the window with a shot of ocean blue, aquamarine or turquoise.
- Top table As close to the window as you can get, or by the banquette in the centre by night.
- Last orders Breakfast is 8am–10.30am, lunch is 12.15pm–3pm and dinner is served up 5.30pm–8.45pm. The bar is open 12pm–3.15pm and 5.30pm–8.45pm.
- Room service You can order in room service between 12.15pm–8.45pm, choosing from the daily dinner menu or the room service one (encompassing pizzas, salads and burgers).
- Hotel bar There’s a bar in the restaurant. Be sure to try the lavender martini, made fresh from the organic garden.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More details