Principe Forte Dei Marmi
- Style Pared-down party pad
- Setting Tuscan riviera
Hotel Principe Forte dei Marmi combines an air of aristocracy with a rustic Tuscan riviera location. Glamorous Italian neighbors, pine-tree-lined paths and minimalist interiors – think earth tones, wood accents and marble – all contribute to an air of exclusivity. Inside, though, it's a study in understatement; there’s nothing showy about the quiet cigar bar, spa and rooftop restaurant.
Need to know
- Rooms 28, including 13 suites.
- Rates Double rooms from $432.16 (€315), excluding tax at 10 per cent.
- More details Rates exclude breakfast (€30 each).
- Facilities Spa, free WiFi throughout, gym and private beach club. In rooms: flatscreen TV, iPod dock, free minibar and wine cooler.
- Poolside The spa has an indoor pool, and there’s another (with a bar) out in the manicured grounds.
- Check–out Midday. Earliest check-in, 4pm.
Children Cots (€50) and extra beds (€100) can be added to parents' rooms. With six hours’ notice, babysitting can be arranged for €20 an hour. Children are welcome in the restaurant.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms For the best views, pick a corner room overlooking the gardens, pool and mountains. Room 101 is sumptuous and sexy, with a freestanding egg-shaped bath tub and a textured burgundy rug.
- Packing tips Pack for the Riviera: crisp whites, gold buttons, silky kaftans and the biggest sunglasses you can get your hands on.
- Also The Principe Spa offers holistic, ancient Himalayan treatments, as well as Ayurvedic therapy. There’s a vitality pool, ice cascade and sauna.
Food and drink at Principe Forte Dei Marmi
- Hotel restaurant There are two dining options: down at the Marechiaro Beach Club for fresh seafood spaghetti, lobster with lardo di colonnata or roast John Dory with lemon mousse, or up on the roof terrace fusion fish dishes, sushi and killer cocktails.
- Dress code Sun-kissed and scrubbed-up.
- Top table The choice is yours: mountain view on the roof or sea view from one of the beach cabanas.
- Last orders Breakfast is served from 7.30am until 11am. Lunch is on offer between 12.30pm and 2.30pm. Dinner is served from 7.30pm until 10.30pm. The bar opens at 7pm and shuts at 2am.
- Room service Sandwiches, sweet things and a few chef's suggestions are available 24 hours a day.
- Hotel bar The 67 Sky Lounge up on the roof is where to head for a sundowner with a view. You can't go wrong with some ice-cold champagne, or a classic Campari spritz. There's a cigar bar, and, in high summer, live DJs supply the sounds.