- Style Old-fashioned charmer
- Setting Laid-back historic lane
A historic Chiang Mai hideaway, the charming Puripunn hotel is a serene property inspired by the Thai-colonial era. This captivating piece of old Thailand is removed from the city (bit close enough for urban adventures, too) and uses bold colour in the rooms and comfortable common spaces. Lovingly restored, this secluded gorunds have a big swimming pool and Jacuzzi surrounded by lush gardens.
Need to know
- Rooms 30.
- Rates Double rooms from $157.19 (THB5,043), excluding tax at 17 per cent.
- More details Rates include breakfast.
- Facilities Spa, gym, library, free WiFi throughout. In rooms: flatscreen TV, minibar, rain shower (except in Deluxe Rooms) in all suites there is also a DVD player and mini stereo system.
- Poolside The rectangular jade swimming pool in the middle of Puripunn has a large Jacuzzi at its centre and is surrounded by elegant greenery.
- Check–out Noon, but flexible subject to availability. Earliest check-in, 2pm.
Children There’s one large suite suitable for those with small Smiths, and babysitting can be arranged with prior notice. The hotel pool has an integrated children’s area.
- Also You’ll need to book a few hours ahead to experience the hotel’s traditional high tea, served daily at 3pm.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms Bag a chocolate-walled ‘Baby’ Suite for the most romantic, whirlpool-bath-enhanced stay. All rooms are decked out in Thai-colonial style, with rich greens, calming creams and warm woods. Details such as porcelain-handled taps, ornately framed paintings and brass fans create a sense of nostalgia to the shabby-chic setting.
- Packing tips Bring solid walking shoes if you plan on exploring the local hills and forests; make sure you have plenty of change for trinkets at the Night Bazaar – three stories of local goods and craftworks.
- Also Puripunn offers private classes in Thai cookery and, for more artistic foodies, fruit and veg carving.
Food and drink at Puripunn
- Hotel restaurant Punna Café is a bright and airy wood-lined dining area on the second floor, where signature northern Thai cuisine is served alongside European dishes and traditional high tea.
- Dress code Loose and laid-back lounge suits for Mr Smith, flowing maxi-dresses or floaty separates for Mrs Smith.
- Top table Overlooking the pool and gardens on the upper floor.
- Last orders 10.30pm in the restaurant, the bar keeps serving until midnight.
- Room service Food from the restaurant menu is available in your room from 7am–11.30pm.
- Hotel bar The over-sized sofas in the Pool Lounge are the perfect spot to settle for a smoothie by day and a cocktail by night.