- Style Arabian arts
- Setting Mallorcan metropolis
The white-washed stone exterior of Puro Hotel in Palma, Mallorca, may not have changed much since the building's days as a 14th-century palace hotel, but the interior tells a different story. From the serene central courtyard – a tale of swaying palms and and bubbling fountains – to modern, minimalist rooms punctuated by contemporary artistic touches, the hotel exemplies the city's own recent revitalisation. And, as if this oasis-like calm weren't enough, the hotel has a private beach club, so you can have the best of both worlds.
Need to know
- Rooms 51, including 14 suites.
- Rates Double rooms from $142.39 (€104), excluding tax at 10 per cent.
- More details Rates usually include breakfast, but check when booking. If your stay includes a Thursday, Friday or Saturday night, a minimum three-night stay is required.
- Facilities Spa with treatment rooms, a sauna and steam rooms; digital library with DVDs and music. In room: WiFi, Bose sound systems, flatscreen TVs. In-room massages can also be arranged.
- Poolside On the roof deck, there's a small plunge pool with eight day-beds. Book ahead for a spot at PuroBeach club; there are regular (free) transfers and preferential rates for hotel guests at this hip Palma Bay pool-bar set-up.
- Check–out Midday, but flexible within reason.
Children Kids are welcome – though they might find the hotel's party atmosphere not that conducive to getting to sleep.
- Also Small dogs welcome for €22 a day.
- Please note The hotel's beach club will be closed for the winter until Easter 2014.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms If the budget stretches, the room with the sunken black bath is well worth it.
- Also Puro also owns its own Beach Club, on a peninsula eight kilometres out of the city. Have brunch, dinner or just cocktails at the bar and restaurant, and enjoy a spa treatment or live DJ set. Reserve places on the free shuttle to the club on arrival (limited to six people per one-way trip) and make sure you reserve a sunlounger too – they fill up fast.
Food and drink at Puro Hotel
- Hotel restaurant Opio bar and restaurant serves Asian and Mediterranean cuisine with a seafood focus. The restaurant closes between November and March each year.
- Dress code Casually cool.
- Top table For a lively evening, sit near the bar; for a more intimate dinner, choose a table in one of the corners.
- Last orders 2am from Thursday to Saturday, the rest of the week 1.30am.
- Room service From 8pm until 11.30am, the full restaurant menu is available in your room. At lunchtime, when the restaurant is closed, there is a snack menu. Please note: room service is not available between November and March, when the restaurant is closed.
- Hotel bar Open each day. Thursday, Friday and Saturday night have DJ sets.