Southern Ocean Lodge
- Style Unspoilt nature, unadulterated luxury
- Setting High above Hanson Bay
Kangaroo Island boutique hotel Southern Ocean Lodge is an airily designed aerie perched on scrub-covered dunes high above the sea. Here you’ll embrace the outdoors, whether you’re outside with the kangaroos and seals in Australia’s answer to the Galapagos or protected from the elements inside the hotel’s calming interiors with spectacular coastal views.
Need to know
- Rooms 21 suites.
- Rates Double rooms from $1646.27 (AU$1,800), excluding tax at 10 per cent.
- More details Rates include all meals, open bar with premium wine and spirits, in-suite bar, selected Kangaroo Island experiences and island airport transfers.
- Facilities Destination spa, wine cellar, library lounge with board games and DVDs, mountain bikes. In rooms: free WiFi, sound system with MP3 input, minibar, Li’Tya toiletries and outdoor terrace with day-bed. Selected suites have flatscreen TVs, DVD players and EcoSmart fires.
- Poolside No full-size pool, but there’s an infinity-edge plunge pool outside on the terrace by the restaurant, plus hot tubs in the Remarkable Suites and Osprey Pavilion. A short walk away, Hanson Bay has consistent surf for a rough-and-tumble swim.
- Check–out 10.30am, but flexible subject to availability. Check-in, 2pm.
Children Only kids over six years allowed. Extra beds can be provided for AU$350 when a child shares a suite with adults.
- Eco‐friendly Southern Ocean Lodge is an eco-attuned operator. It’s rainwater reliant, with breezeway ventilation, and an advanced greywater/compost recycling system. A solar power system is also planned and the lodge runs local environmental projects.
- Also There’s a minimum two-night stay. Multi-night packages are available, incorporating day-spa treatments, room upgrades and private island charter tours.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms There are five grades of rooms here and unsurprisingly, top dog, the super-private Osprey Suite, is the pick of the bunch. Jaw-dropping views, separate sunken lounge, freestanding oval handmade stone bath and terrace spa, plus state-of-the-art audiovisual gadgets (including a laptop). On a more affordable tip, we also love the 11 Flinders Suites (which have dreamy day-beds for terrace chilling), and five Ocean Retreats (with fabulous freestanding tubs and fireplaces).
- Packing tips Leave your ego at home. Sure, you’re paying for the privilege of being here (and it is a privilege), but management takes a first-name-basis approach, and the vibe is casual and unfussed. Don’t expect to hear any obsequious ‘sirs’ or ‘ma’ms’.
- Also Backed by an impressive limestone wall and with imported Roman floor tiles, the multi-faceted lobby area has something for everyone. The bar and restaurant occupy a large part of it, but there’s also a walk-in wine cellar in-the-round, a shop selling local produce, arts and crafts, a sunken lounge area with a too-cool French fireplace suspended from the ceiling, racks of quirky books and hip magazines, and an outdoor extension with a plunge pool.
Food and drink at Southern Ocean Lodge
- Hotel restaurant Head chef Tim Bourke conjures a five-course tasting menu or four-course à la carte employing local produce and wine. Dine inside in the soothing restaurant or outdoors on the viewtastic deck. Anglers, if you manage to snare something yourself from Hanson Bay, they will also gladly fillet and cook your catch.
- Dress code Organic linen separates in soothing neutrals will blend well with the photoshoot-fit lodge backdropped by nature.
- Top table Any of the six window-side seats lets you soak up that incredible unfettered view. On a warm night, try the sea-air-kissed terrace.
- Last orders Breakfast anytime from 7.30am to 10am; lunch from 12.30pm to 2.30pm; dinner from 7pm to 9pm, with pre-dinner cocktails and canapés at the bar.
- Room service Light snacks are available on request and minibars come well stocked.
- Hotel bar The open-plan bar in the Great Room is a curved wonder next to the restaurant. There’s not just a spectacular view to drink up for free – there’s also wine, beer and cocktails at your disposal. Aside from the premium list (which includes Penfolds’ Grange, Bollinger and Henschke’s Hill of Grace), alcohol is included in rates.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More details