Straf Hotel & Bar
- Style Set in concrete
- Setting Duomo on your doorstep
An unassuming exterior hides the edgy, yet elegant interior of Straf Hotel & Bar, a style-savvy boutique in Milan that is filled with art. Design by Vincenzo de Cotiis is both minimal and tied to fashion, with bare-concrete walls and rich chocolate lounge chairs in the lobby.
Need to know
- Rooms 64, including three suites
- Rates Double rooms from $255.65 (€185), excluding tax at 10 per cent. Please note the hotel charges an additional local city tax of €5.00 per person per night on check-out.
- More details Rates usually include Continental breakfast.
- Facilities Fitness room, valet parking, free WiFi throughout. In-rooms: flatscreen TV, minibar.
- Check–out 12 noon, but flexible, subject to availability and a charge (half the daily room rate between 2pm and 5pm; a full day’s rate after 5pm). Earliest check-in, 2pm.
Children Welcome: extra beds are free for under-12s; €88 a night for teens.
- Also Little dogs (the fashionable kind) are invited, too.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms Book a Wellbeing Room (we heart 504) for its bold burnished brass bathroom, minimal monochrome decor, glittering glass surfaces and, above all, electronic massage chair. These rooms also have an aromatherapy and chromotherapy corner (a suite of mood-improving gadgets which, when activated, change the lighting colour, and emit puffs of scented air). Suite 604 has a moody black stone bathroom; 605’s is dazzling white (both rooms have Duomo-facing balconies).
- Packing tips Pack your most fashionista outfits; huge, extra-dark sunglasses.
Food and drink at Straf Hotel & Bar
- Hotel restaurant Breakfast and lunch are served in a neat little room, with glossy white table tops, square leather seats and textured colour-block canvases. The novel Euro-Asian fusion à la carte lunch menu has dishes such as Thai pasta or salmon with black rice. Dinner isn’t on offer, but a complimentary Milanese finger-food buffet is laid out at 6.30pm.
- Dress code As directional as the decor: Jil Sander for the ladies, Alexander Wang for the gents.
- Top table Sit in the corner booth by the glass wall for the most privacy. For easy access to the buffet at breakfast, sit at the other end, closest to the spread.
- Last orders For dinner, 10.30pm. The bar closes at midnight but will stay open later for you if you ask.
- Room service It’s drinks-only by day: try one of the exotic teas (sweet pan yong golden needle, or kimono: green tea with rose petals and cherry) from 7am. In the evening, a selection of Italian staples can be ordered until 10.30pm.
- Hotel bar Dark, compact and edgy Straf Bar is a magnet for the fashion set, drawn here by the retro good looks (aged leather sofa, acid-green lightshade mushrooming from the ceiling), potent cocktails and generous nibbles. Drinking sessions officially end at midnight, but it’s often open later.