- Style Breezy Balinese-chic
- Setting Cepaka village countryside
Get the five-star treatment with the exhilarating independence of a private villa at Sungai Gold hotel in Bali’s low-key Cepaka Village, just 20 minutes outside Seminyak. A posse of staff that cater to your every whim will facilitate luxury lounging in airy living areas or by the cool jade-green pool. Those with an entourage can snag the sister property next door, Villa Sungai, to double the fun (and room).
Need to know
- Rooms Two suites, but this hotel is heaven for one couple. For larger groups, book it along with nearby three-bedroom sister property Villa Sungai. Each villa is exclusive-hire only, so you're not sharing with strangers.
- Rates Double rooms from $591.82 (AU$650), excluding tax at 15 per cent. Sungai Gold is unable to accept payment by credit card.
- More details Rates include welcome drinks, à la carte breakfast, evening canapés, chefs (ingredients cost extra), tea, coffee and bottled water, laundry, 24-hour butler service, concierge, eight-seater vehicle and chauffeur-driven airport transfers.
- Facilities Spa, yoga, gardens, WiFi throughout (around US$10 for 50MB). In rooms: Tivoli Audio sound system, preloaded iPod, LED reading lights, Acqua di Parma toiletries, sarongs, sandals/slippers and shopping baskets, spa gowns, flowers, free bottled water.
- Poolside Step straight from your bed or the lounger-topped sun-deck into the swimming pool, which runs the length of the villa.
- Check–out 11am, but flexible for a half-night's extra fee. Late check-out to suit departure flights can be arranged when no new guests are checking in. Check-in, anytime if no guests are arriving that day.
Children Children are very welcome. Babysitting, including overnight cover, is available for around US$5 an hour, ideally with half a day's notice.
- Hotel closed No check-ins or check-outs are allowed on 31 March 2014, when Bali observes Nyepi Day (Day of Silence), although stays are still possible. Bali’s airport also closes for the day.
- Also Smoking is allowed in open pavilions, but not in bedrooms. Minimum lengths of stay do apply.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms With its net-draped four-poster, open-to-the-elements 'walls' and rustic timber furnishings, the pool-view master suite is seriously seductive. This villa is ideal for a couple, but there's a second bedroom available if you'd rather party with your pals.
- Packing tips Books and magazines for poolside flipping, a sun hat and your yoga kit. Leave the sarong, sandals, beach bag and hair straightener at home – the villa is loaded with thought-of-everything extras.
- Also Sungai Gold offers a pre-arrival guest preference and planning service to help you make the most of your stay. As well as a staff of chefs, drivers, butlers, bar staff, maids and gardeners, plus spa therapists, you'll get the support of a manager/concierge who acts as your PA and tour guide, booking you into restaurants or activities and arranging bespoke Bali experiences.
Food and drink at Sungai Gold
- Hotel restaurant The chef is a dab hand with pan-Asian and Australian flavours. Dine on modern interpretations of Indonesian treats include baby snapper steamed with Balinese spices, duck nasi goreng and a decadent full tasting dinner with suckling pig. Leave room for lemongrass and palm sugar panna cotta with orange and chilli caramel, washed down with lemon sorbet vodka shots. The eatery is exclusive to villa guests and their pals, so feel free to put in requests and time meals to suit your plans.
- Dress code This place has kaftan (or its 21st-century relative the maxi dress) written all over it. Guys can rock a sarong, David Beckham-style. The villas are exclusive hire, so you set the sartorial tone.
- Top table Do sunset drinks on the pool deck, dine at the table in the breezy living room, or snack in one of the garden pavilions.
- Last orders Breakfast is served from 5am, but otherwise there are no meal time restrictions. Last orders fit around the last guest standing.
- Room service There's 24-hour room service, with pretty much anything you want up for grabs anytime, from noodles to steak or burgers. Take a look at chef Wayan's menus for inspiration or indulge in all-day free Nespresso coffee with chocolate biscotti.
- Hotel bar You're welcome to bring your own duty-free spirits to whip up with the bar's mixers or to help yourself anytime to beers or imported wines, which will be charged back to your room at wholesale rates (there are no in-suite minibars, as sociable quaffing in the open-air bar is the norm). You can also dictate the tunes so bring your iPod, check out the villa's music selection or hire a DJ for special events.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More details