- Style Individually designed
- Setting Secluded Sandton
Space and light lure travellers to the tree-filled Johannesburg suburb of Sandton, home to Ten Bompas hotel, whose ten rooms were individually decorated by a pool of local designers. Contemporary style – along with a popular restaurant serving dinner on the terrace – makes this retreat a local favorite. Touches of luxury include a pampering steam bath and generous lounge area, all in easy reach of the city centre.
Need to know
- Rooms 10 suites.
- Rates Double rooms from $272.60 (ZAR2,851), excluding tax at 14 per cent.
- More details Rates include breakfast and minibar.
- Facilities TV, CD player, Internet. Suites have lounges, fireplaces, steambaths and complimentary minibar.
- Poolside In the central courtyard.
- Check–out Midday, but flexible subject to availability.
Children Welcome. There is no charge for an extra bed.
- Also Transfers from Johannesburg airport cost R300.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms Each of the ten rooms was styled by a different interior designer. Suite 5 by Andre Croucamp and Ian Gandini is our favourite. Suite 3 by Joan Young uses a warm and earthy African colour palette.
- Packing tips Johannesburg evenings can be chilly; pack some layers.
Food and drink at Ten Bompas
- Hotel restaurant Only breakfast is served every day, but lunches and dinners may be available if you ask ahead. The hotel also has an extensive wine cellar.
- Dress code Understated style.
- Top table On the terrace outside the wine cellar, or in the garden next to the pool.
- Last orders 10.30pm for the restaurant, midnight for the bar.
- Room service 7.30am–10.30pm.
- Hotel bar The bar is in the main reception area.