The Carneros Inn
- Style Modernist home on the range
- Setting California's bucolic pastures new
The Carneros Inn hotel is an award-winning, one-of-a-kind place to stay in Napa Valley with a warm and welcoming staff. Inspired by classic California farm buildings, this resort is made up of handsome and contemporary tin-roofed cottages, silos and barns all arranged with either lush vineyard or garden views. The agri-chic aesthetic features lovely decked porches, rocking chairs, Le Corbusier chaises, cowhide rugs and a soothing colour scheme of white, grey, black, and beige. Connected via a series of paths through the gardens are the huge pool, three restaurants and two bars.
Need to know
- Rooms 86 Cottages, including 10 Suites and 24 Private Homes.
- Rates Double rooms from $365.00, excluding tax at 14 per cent. Please note the hotel charges an additional service charge of $25.00 per room per night on check-out.
- Facilities DVD library, gardens, luxury fitness centre and spa, spa boutique, concierge team; in-room plasma TVs, DVD, free Internet access, underfloor heating, wood-burning fires, minibar, AC, spa services and private fitness training, free bikes to borrow.
- Poolside The large adults-only outdoor heated infinity pool has lovely countryside views and a hot tub to enjoy them from; there's another infinity pool for families, with a hot tub and separate children's pool, too.
- Check–out Midday, but check with reception as late check-out is sometimes available.
Children Dedicated family pool area. Cottage suites available, consisting of adjoining cottages and shared patio. The hotel can organise a host of family activities, from art classes or cheese-making to horse-riding and helicopter trips. Babysitting.
- Hotel closed Never.
- Eco‐friendly Fires stocked with 'good wood'; rocking chairs made of recycled materials; geo-thermal heating and cooling system; menus are geared towards sustainable farming methods and local organic produce.
- Also Smoking allowed on guests' private decks. Check-in is 4pm. The luxury spa offers suitably farm-inspired treatments, such as warm goat's butter massages, grape-seed scrubs. Dogs permitted in some rooms, US$150 a stay; damages charge, US$200 minimum.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms All the cottages have private gardens, patios and decks with gas heaters and romantic outdoor showers. Note that cottage suites consist of two separate cottages connected by a private patio (ideal for families or groups of friends). Vineyard suites have the nicest views, but the cottages represent better value for money.
- Packing tips Swimwear (you'll be gutted if you forget it); comfortable shoes for walking and post-wine-tasting moments of instability; a great book; yoga kit.
- Also The chef can prepare a picnic for you to take wherever you like. There's a team of concierge staff who are extremely knowledgable about the region, its vineyards and pursuits. They'll call before you arrive to find out what you want from your stay.
Food and drink at The Carneros Inn
- Hotel restaurant The Farm serves local organic produce in an alfresco lounge setting with wood-burning fireplaces. It's closed on Monday and Tuesdays though, opening up for dinner during the rest of the week. Boonfly Café serves breakfast, lunch and light meals. The Hilltop Dining Room has amazing views. Tables can only be booked for six or more people.
- Dress code Take dress-down Friday and then dress it down even more. If you wear heels, you'll only scuff them on the gravel paths.
- Top table Head up to the Hilltop Dining Room for the best views. Sit by the fire or on the patio at Farm.
- Last orders Hilltop Dining Room, 4pm; Hilltop Bar, 10pm (midnight on Fridays and Saturdays); Boonfly Café, 10pm; Farm at the Carneros Inn, 10pm.
- Room service 7am–10pm; order a bottle of wine before last orders to drink on your private deck.
- Hotel bar The Hilltop Bar is decked out in Brazilian cherry wood and polished concrete; it's a great spot for a reflective after-dinner cocktail. Alternativley, kick back in Farm's buzzier outdoor lounge bar.