The Inn at English Meadows
- Style Country revival
- Setting Village by the sea
Built in 1860 as a dairy farm, The Inn at English Meadows hotel in coastal Kennebunk, Maine, has aged gracefully thanks to an elegant restoration that revived architectural charms and tossed aside tired Victorian trappings. Expect seasonal gourmet breakfasts worth bounding out of bed for, lush English-style gardens and cosy, contemporary interiors without a frilly doily in sight.
Need to know
- Rooms 11, including five suites.
- Rates Double rooms from $179.00, excluding tax at 8 per cent. Please note the hotel charges an additional service charge of $10.00 per room per night on check-out.
- More details Rates include a multi-course breakfast daily. An extra guest is US$50 a night.
- Facilities Concierge, free on-site parking and free WiFi throughout. In rooms: flatscreen TV, iPod dock, robe, slippers and Malin + Goetz bath products. Suites also have a Nespresso coffee maker and mini-fridge.
- Check–out 11am. Check-in: 3pm–6pm.
Children Over 10 welcome. The Carriage House Suite and the Bungalow are best for families.
- Also The entire property is non-smoking.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms Hide out in the Carriage House Suite, a discrete aerie with a private entrance and loads of charm – exposed original barn beams, angled ceilings and maritime-inspired navy-and-white furnishings. Sink into the queen-size sleigh bed or cuddle on the sofa in front of the fireplace.
- Packing tips Leave the beach towels in the linen closet. The inn will pack you off for a day at the seashore with towels, beach chairs and parking passes for area beaches.
- Also You’ll find a little basket of treats – flavoured crisps, nut bars, soft drinks – along with area guide books, in your room.
Food and drink at The Inn at English Meadows
- Hotel restaurant None, but a multi-course breakfast (cardamom and orange French toast, smoked salmon and arugula benedict, house made croissants) is served daily in one of the two bright dining rooms or in the garden.
- Dress code Classic Bermuda shorts paired with a striped tee or relaxed polo shirt for a nattily nautical look.
- Top table Weather permitting, take your breakfast outside on the red brick patio, and admire the heritage lilacs and perennial blooms from one of the intimate café tables for two.
- Last orders Breakfast is served between 8.30am and 9.30am.
- Hotel bar No bar, but a selection of wine, prosecco and champagne are available for purchase. And, stop by the inviting living room for a cool drink (or rich hot chocolate in colder months), cakes and freshly baked cookies served daily from 3pm–6pm.