The Lodge at Kauri Cliffs
- Style Upscale country manor
- Setting Coastal cliffs, Pacific panoramas
With sweeping views of the Pacific Ocean, The Lodge at Kauri Cliffs hotel on the North Island of New Zealand entices at every turn. A four hour drive from Auckland, this hideaway is set in the middle of 6,000 acres near Matauri Bay – overlooking Cape Brett and the Cavalli Islands. Days can be spent on the peaceful beaches, in the serene spa or on the clifftop golf course.
Need to know
- Rooms 22 suites (six standard, 16 deluxe), and the two-bedroom Owner’s Cottage.
- Rates Double rooms from $1252.24 (NZD1,520), excluding tax at 15 per cent.
- More details Rates include include pre-dinner drinks with hors d’oeuvres, gourmet dinner, breakfast, free minibar including domestic beers (excludes spirits and wine) and use of lodge facilities, except spa treatments and use of the golf course.
- Facilities Free WiFi throughout, spa, sauna, Jacuzzi, gym, 18-hole golf course, practice range, putting and chipping greens, golf shop, Callaway clubs for hire. Tennis courts, clay-pigeon shooting and mountain bikes. In rooms: TV, DVD/CD player, minibar, Evolu toiletries and private porch.
- Poolside Set away from the main lodge for maximum privacy, the infinity pool overlooks the golf course and ocean. But with three secluded swimming beaches nearby and a Jacuzzi, it’s got stiff competition.
- Check–out 11am, but flexible subject to availability. Check-in, 2pm.
Children Under-fives can share for free using existing bedding. Baby cots available for no charge; extra beds possible for deluxe suites only (from NZ$500–$525 a night, depending on the season, plus tax).
- Also The lodge and guest rooms are all non-smoking. The lodge offers two smaller bedrooms (each with twin beds) that may be perfect for your security, drivers or staff, if you’re travelling with an entourage.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms We’re partial to the six spacious standard suites paired in pretty cottages flanked by forest. All are neutral-toned with comfy armchairs by the fire, walk-in wardrobes, luxe bathrooms and private porches overlooking the sea. But if you fancy more space and your own infinity pool, book into the Two-Bedroom Owner’s Cottage.
- Packing tips Glam golfing threads are a good look here – if you don’t have your own, there's a golf shop at the hotel where you can pick up the latest NZ and global labels, from Fairway & Greene to Polo, Adidas and Footjoy, and clubs can also be hired on site.
- Also Don’t miss the uplifting spa, surrounded by verdant totara forest; treatments make use of local mud, minerals, crystals, stones and shells.
Food and drink at The Lodge at Kauri Cliffs
- Hotel restaurant The Lodge’s dining room has a warm, relaxed farmhouse feel and a great open veranda. Executive chef Barry Frith oversees the daily-changing à la carte menu, which specialises in modern, seasonal, local dishes including New Zealand lamb, beef and seafood. Take advice from the sommelier, as her knowledge and top tips can make your meal one to remember.
- Dress code Glam golfing threads. If you don’t have your own golf gear, there’s a shop at the hotel where you can pick up the latest NZ and global labels, from Fairway & Greene to Polo. Jackets are required for gents for cocktails and dinner.
- Top table A balcony table for island-studded ocean views – they’re all-weather-friendly thanks to heaters and wind shields. In winter, romantics should set up camp by the indoor fireplace.
- Last orders Around 10pm, but room service and flexible private dining can be arranged.
- Room service Available 7am–10pm, with a daily-changing menu.
- Hotel bar Kauri Cliffs’ inviting cocktail hour from 6.30pm is an ideal time to hobnob with fellow guests. There’s no bar as such, but free wine, beers and canapés are served on the veranda to tinkling piano and jazz music.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More details