The Ranch at Rock Creek
- Style Sundance saloon
- Setting Wild Montana countryside
Well-heeled wannabe cowboys flock to The Ranch at Rock Creek hotel in the wild, big-sky country of Montana. It’s a working ranch surrounded by mountains and set blissfully in the middle of nowhere. The property’s 6,000 acres have a lot to offer – a spa, ice rink, movie theatre, bowling alley, stables, heated outdoor pool, swimming hole, fishing ponds and a rushing creek.
Need to know
- Rooms 25, including three log homes.
- Rates Double rooms from $1700.00, excluding tax at 20 per cent.
- More details Rates include all activities, meals and drinks; the 20 per cent ranch fee includes taxes, snacks, phone calls and WiFi.
- Facilities Library, spa, bowling alley, hot tub, billiards table, stables, fishing ponds, WiFi throughout and 6,000 acres. In rooms, iPod dock, minibar, free bottled water and Red Flower bath products. Some rooms have TVs.
- Poolside The thousands of acres have room for a heated outdoor pool, as well as a herb garden and a pond to swim in. Brave sorts can jump in the creek.
- Check–out 11am, but flexible if there’s availability. Earliest check-in, 4pm.
Children Very welcome; just remember that the area is remote and that a babysitter will need a fortnight’s notice. Cribs must be ordered in, so let the hotel know well in advance. Some rooms have pull-out beds for children.
- Hotel closed 4 April to 13 May and November 2011.
- Also Smoking is allowed in the designated outdoor area. One bedroom in the Granite Lodge is suitable for wheelchair users.
In the know
- Our favourite rooms Camping fans won’t know what’s hit them in a Luxury Canvas Cabin, where the toilet is inside the tent, and a private bath house is nearby. They line the banks of Rock Creek, and come with a rocking chair and porch out front. For sturdier lodgings, head inside to the Palomino Suite, with a four-poster white birch bed and wooden walls, or the masculine Loft, which has rafter ceilings and an elegant freestanding bath tub.
- Packing tips Checked shirts, jeans and cowboy hats – and if you don’t normally dress like you’re in a Western, stock up at the Mercantile, where you can buy genuine cowboy articles. The ranch has a whole storage room of sports equipment, so don’t worry about lugging your own.
- Also There’s a spa in the Granite Lodge, with luxury pedicure stations and framed flowers on the walls; treatments include the aptly named Saddle Sore Soak, guaranteed to bathe away the day’s aches. There's also an ice rink for skating and games of ice hockey.
Food and drink at The Ranch at Rock Creek
- Hotel restaurant The restaurant in the Granite Lodge serves hearty ranch fare, such as beer-braised pork with figs and melted leeks, and Montana elk rib-eye with cherry, watermelon and fennel salad. With checkered curtains, Native American-influenced upholstery and a granite fireplace, the decor has been lifted straight out of Little House on the Prairie.
- Dress code Anything goes, but for footwear, cowboy boots to fit in with the not-so-lone rangers.
- Top table Warm and snug by the fire in the cosy dining room.
- Last orders Meals are flexible (breakfast, 8am–11am; lunch, 12pm–2pm), except dinner, when cocktails are at 6.30pm and the main event at 7.30pm.
- Room service None.
- Hotel bar The Silver Dollar Saloon is as close to the real deal as you’ll get, and this one has its own billiards table, four-lane bowling alley and 14-ft flatscreen. All drinks are included in the rate.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More details